Persistent lice despite treatments

gmrt77

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 13, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Hi everyone,

My Clementina has had these annoying yellow lice for a month now, despite my bathing her, treating her with DE, clipping the affected areas. Now, she has small sores near her vent, due to the persistent lice. She's been weakened by it, and she is on a special diet with lots of protein, and veggies.

I'm going to give another bath, and put more ash in different areas of the yard, to see if it helps. But I'm wondering, if you have other suggestions. She doesn't have a huge amount of lice, in fact, I think this time are the left over hatched eggs I couldn't remove a week ago. Is there any other suggestions you may have for me?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

You have to clean out all the bedding in the coop, including nests, treat the building and put new bedding in. That has to be done the same time you treat the birds. All birds have to be treated and again about 5-7 days later.

Hi everyone,

My Clementina has had these annoying yellow lice for a month now, despite my bathing her, treating her with DE, clipping the affected areas. Now, she has small sores near her vent, due to the persistent lice. She's been weakened by it, and she is on a special diet with lots of protein, and veggies.

I'm going to give another bath, and put more ash in different areas of the yard, to see if it helps. But I'm wondering, if you have other suggestions. She doesn't have a huge amount of lice, in fact, I think this time are the left over hatched eggs I couldn't remove a week ago. Is there any other suggestions you may have for me?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.
DE won't treat lice, you need to dust her with a poultry dust, or you could try ivermectin, and do like ChickenCanoe says and treat her coop.

-Kathy

Noticed that this hen had eye lice, so decided to take to pictures and video before treating with ivermectin. She is a 2015 peahen that weighs 3.2 kg and was given 0.15 ml of 1.87% ivermectin paste, which works out to ~0.9 mg/kg. All lice were gone in 24-48 hours.

And two videos:

-Kathy

Last edited:
I have done a couple of times. I have been keeping a close eye, and I have inspected the other girls, but Clementina seems to be the only one with this persistent problem.

Try Ivermectin. DE may or may not help prevent lice... but it won't treat an outbreak.
(If you can get ahold of a copy of The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow, it has a HUGE section on mites/lice types, life cycles, and different drugs/ chemicals to treat with.)

Try Ivermectin. DE may or may not help prevent lice... but it won't treat an outbreak.
(If you can get ahold of a copy of The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow, it has a HUGE section on mites/lice types, life cycles, and different drugs/ chemicals to treat with.)
Warning, lots of misinformation in that book!

-Kathy

@casportpony

True but it's better than no book at all.
Have you gotten the second edition yet and compared it to what you found wrong in the first book?

Back
Top Bottom