Pet chicken lost tail in dog attack

Just wanted to thank those who have taken the time to read my post and comment, lucky went back to the vet today and had a drainage tube removed and a few of the stiches came out, the vet was surprised at how well it has healed so far, but said we are not out of the woods yet. My main two concerns at this point is whether or not she will peck at her wounds if the cone is removed and how to go about stopping that, and how to assist her in healing. There is basically a hole left behind from the tube and it needs to fill in and heal, I read somewhere on here about using tumeric, can anyone advise me on this? We've come so far and put in so much work, I just would hate to have a misstep now. I thought about making a puree out of tumeric root and applying it directly to the problem area, I also thought about boiling the root and making a spray out of it but these are just ideas, I need song that will really help the tissue heal without subjecting her to infection. Please, if anyone has a solution, my wife and I have put in tireless work to save our sweet hen lucky, I can post pics of her wound if that would help

Yes please post a picture. Usually annopen wound you would want to keep covered with gauze and polysporin secured with vet wrap so dirt and bugs dont get in until healed. Anyway you could wrap vet wrap about her torso for a week to secure some gauze over the hole? Could be under her wings around her belly type thing? Would hate to see an infection get in. What did the vet recommend?

I will be posting some more pics

Have you read anything about fresh garlic, fresh oregano and cayenne pepper?
If not google the benefits of these for chicks.
I am new to my "own" chicks but I did help an injured chicken heal with these three.

She is going to be fine....dont worry...you will see how quick she heals.
thumbsup.gif

The vet felt that the wound needed to stay moist to avoid infection and gave us an antiseptic (thus the blue feathers) he said he would like to wrap the wound and fill it with table sugar? But he didn't feel that would be possible with her injury, I will look into the mention remedy of garlic, cayenne and orageno.
I am googling table sugar right now...never heard that!

Back
Top Bottom