Pheasant Pholk (Folk) or gamebird sexers

ticks

Pheasant Obsessed
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
The Sticks, Vermont
This is one of my week old pheasant chicks I want to find out if it is a rooster or hen. It is not too big of a deal because I will never be sure which one it is again but here it is.
Regular:

Last edited:
OK I will go with that for now thanks. Note the red spot on head, I have noticed it on a few but it is not blood I made sure of that. Could it be that red rooster face suff coming out?

Last edited:
Ummm are you talking about the red behind the eye? That is the ear lol. And I would also say ROOSTER on that bird. There is no for sure way to tell unless you vent sex them but I have heard from other gamebird breeders that the bigger the patch around the eye is the better chance of the bird being male.
Good Luck!
smile.png

I know some folks can tell by spurs coming in on the males at only a couple weeks old. I don't try to sex them until the fuller plumage comes in. Boys feather in more colorful (shinier too) and girls are a dull color. That's the easiest way for me to know for sure.

P.s. that red spot is the ear. lol All of them get red around the face as they reach maturity.

Jody

From the book sexing all fowl baby chicks: (by Loyl Stromberg)..It looks like its gonna be a male by the stripe..Mark it with a small leg band..but remeber to check the leg band as its growing as you will have to change sizes as it grows..
% correctly classified by this method is 94.7% accuracy
Charlie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom