PHILIPPINES BYC GROUP

Hey there !!
I am from the Philppines in the Island in Cebu
I was wondering if kabir chickens are broilers?
I kinda got my first chicken yesterday and it is a vantress. I only found out also yesterday that it doesn't live long. It is 2 and a half kilo,, and not moving so much. Do you guys hot any suggestion to make it live longer and healthier?
I've never seen a Kabir but from what I've read they are large so I guess they might be dual purpose. I don't believe they are broilers in the sense of 45 Day chicks (Cornish Crosses) back in the Philippines. I haven't heard of a Vantress. I hear a lot about "native" manuk from my relatives but I believe they are just mixed breeds. The only truly native bird I know of there is the Labuyo or Red Jungle Fowl.

I've never seen a Kabir but from what I've read they are large so I guess they might be dual purpose. I don't believe they are broilers in the sense of 45 Day chicks (Cornish Crosses) back in the Philippines. I haven't heard of a Vantress. I hear a lot about "native" manuk from my relatives but I believe they are just mixed breeds. The only truly native bird I know of there is the Labuyo or Red Jungle Fowl.

Cool. Well, I want Kabir as a pet. I hope it lives long. I guess vantress is some sort of bisaya term.

This is my chicken. Do you you think it is a broiler?

I had Kabir a while back and yes they grow very big some of the roosters weighed 4 kilos dressed at 7 months old. Difficult to say if that is a broiler or a Kabir they are very much the same.

Thank you for the reply. Do kabir chickens live long by the way? How good are they as layers as well?

Cool. Well, I want Kabir as a pet. I hope it lives long. I guess vantress is some sort of bisaya term.

This is my chicken. Do you you think it is a broiler?
Can't say 100% since there are other white varieties that look similar but it looks an awful lot like a Cornish Cross broiler. You'll know if she eats like she's starving, never seems to get full, and gains about a pound a week. They call them 45 day chicks up in Tarlac.

I looked up the Vantress and apparently it's a broiler bred by the Cobb Vantress Company. They also breed the Sasso which is a slower growing variety. My niece recently butchered her batch a little while ago. Hope that helps.

Can't say 100% since there are other white varieties that look similar but it looks an awful lot like a Cornish Cross broiler. You'll know if she eats like she's starving, never seems to get full, and gains about a pound a week. They call them 45 day chicks up in Tarlac. 

I looked up the Vantress and apparently it's a broiler bred by the Cobb Vantress Company. They also breed the Sasso which is a slower growing variety. My niece recently butchered her batch a little while ago. Hope that helps.

Wow! That was a lot of help. Thank you for the info. So, it is a boiler. Too bad they dont live long. This is my first chicken. I was hoping it to be my pet since I grew slighlty attacched to it. :(

Wow! That was a lot of help. Thank you for the info. So, it is a boiler. Too bad they dont live long. This is my first chicken. I was hoping it to be my pet since I grew slighlty attacched to it.
sad.png
Contrary to what a lot of people believe broilers can live about as long as a regular chicken; there's nothing in their DNA that says they have to check out at any particular time. The fastest growing broilers, the Cornish Crosses run into health problems because they put on weight much to fast for their bone and organ structure to keep up. In Tarlac the only reason they call them 45 day birds is because they reach acceptable butcher weight after approximately 6 weeks but not because they'll drop over dead at that time. If you want to keep a broiler around longer just don't feed it more than you would a regular bird and encourage it to get exercise via free-ranging or whatever else you can dream up. They're not very heat tolerant so you'll want to make sure they have plenty of shade also. Personally I wouldn't raise a broiler for a pet since they're better suited for adobo or ariscaldo as they say in Tagalog (leylot in Kapampangan), but if you already have one and want to raise it as a pet you certainly can do that.

Back
Top Bottom