PHILIPPINES BYC GROUP

Contrary to what a lot of people believe broilers can live about as long as a regular chicken; there's nothing in their DNA that says they have to check out at any particular time. The fastest growing broilers, the Cornish Crosses run into health problems because they put on weight much to fast for their bone and organ structure to keep up. In Tarlac the only reason they call them 45 day birds is because they reach acceptable butcher weight after approximately 6 weeks but not because they'll drop over dead at that time. If you want to keep a broiler around longer just don't feed it more than you would a regular bird and encourage it to get exercise via free-ranging or whatever else you can dream up. They're not very heat tolerant so you'll want to make sure they have plenty of shade also. Personally I wouldn't raise a broiler for a pet since they're better suited for adobo or ariscaldo as they say in Tagalog (leylot in Kapampangan), but if you already have one and want to raise it as a pet you certainly can do that.

Really? That is interesting. Everyone in this site has been telling me that it would be cruel to keep it alive since its alrrady suffering.

Really? That is interesting. Everyone in this site has been telling me that it would be cruel to keep it alive since its alrrady suffering.
Totoo. I haven't kept one beyond 6-7 weeks myself but I read stories from a lot of people that even raised them long after they were laying eggs. How far is Cebu from Negros Occidental? Coco Poultry Farms is in Negros Occidental and they sell most of the same standard breed manuk we have here in the states. I heard from relatives in Tarlac that standard pure breed manuk have been difficult to find in recent years because a lot of restaurants have been buying them up, and now the most common manuk are the broilers. That's a shame because I remember a lot of pure breed manuk and brown eggs in the 80's. A lot of my nieces and nephews have never seen a brown egg until I sent them pictures.

Totoo. I haven't kept one beyond 6-7 weeks myself but I read stories from a lot of people that even raised them long after they were laying eggs. How far is Cebu from Negros Occidental? Coco Poultry Farms is in Negros Occidental and they sell most of the same standard breed manuk we have here in the states. I heard from relatives in Tarlac that standard pure breed manuk have been difficult to find in recent years because a lot of restaurants have been buying them up, and now the most common manuk are the broilers. That's a shame because I remember a lot of pure breed manuk and brown eggs in the 80's. A lot of my nieces and nephews have never seen a brown egg until I sent them pictures.
Well, I think I might just eat my first chicken pet since it seems like it is suffering.
Negros Occidental is an island away from Cebu. I might check it out if I do visit negros :) . I hope they have the breed I am looking for. It is so hard to find other breeds other than bisaya or broilers,
I remember in the early 90's that I saw a variety of chicken breeds too. I am glad that your nieces got to see a brown egg. They must have been full of wonder after seeing them :)

I received an order from Coco Poultry Farm last month they are decent but I have recently found more heritage breeders on Facebook. When Keeping "45 day" broilers past butcher weight it is best to have them in a mixed flock to stimulate exercise and healthy behaviour.

Well, I think I might just eat my first chicken pet since it seems like it is suffering.
Negros Occidental is an island away from Cebu. I might check it out if I do visit negros :) . I hope they have the breed I am looking for. It is so hard to find other breeds other than bisaya or broilers,
I remember in the early 90's that I saw a variety of chicken breeds too. I am glad that your nieces got to see a brown egg. They must have been full of wonder after seeing them :)

search Facebook breeder pages

Back
Top Bottom