Pick no more

At the
I'm sorry I can't resist. So if the holes on the front of the beaks are not nostrils, what are they? Are they where you put a coin or jelly beans?

At the risk of ruining your jocularity, the "nostrils" of a chicken are called nares and they lead to the respiratory system. And in case you never knew, they are not divided by a septum as we have. Look through one side, and you are likely to see daylight coming through from the opposite side of the beak.

But yes, stuff can clog them. Over eager eaters can get food stuck in them, not exactly jelly beans like human toddlers.

Regarding smelling:
http://www.wardhenline.com/uncooped/behavior_senses

I have no idea how true it is.
big_smile.png

u could put a cover on them like they sell on ebay etsy chicken saddle that help them to cover up

I'm starting to think this is the best idea. I had one on the two picked to most, and after seeing good feather growth removed them. Then one got repacked. I took lead Hen out this am and put Ms. Picked in isolation.
So this weekend I'm gonna do some chick butt grooming, and will put saddles back on. I'm still undecided about the Pick No More. I'm still wondering, for the chicks, is the Pick No More harder to endure than the picking......

Blue Kote is not pick no more......Pick no more is red but is cayenne pepper based and used to put on birds to stop picking.....Saddles will not protect them if its a picking issue.....They will pick other areas exposed.....

Cheers!

Well, they talked about a study on olfactory capacity.....but didn't cite/link it.

And this.....
" That chickens will not mate with close relatives, even those they didn’t grow up with, suggests that they are able to sniff out hens that are their siblings."
......I believe is bunk.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that either. BUT. I can't stop reading "Uncooped".

I know this is a huge rabbit trail from the original question, but anyone who says that chickens won't mate with close relatives....I would never take anything else they say about chicken seriously. They apparently have no idea what they're talking about. Or, I've bred multiple lines of...what do you call smelling impaired? Not deaf, not dumb, what would that be? Anyway, my birds must all have it. I have cockerels enthusiastically mounting their mothers and sisters all the time. And the hens are fine with it.

I know this is a huge rabbit trail from the original question, but anyone who says that chickens won't mate with close relatives....I would never take anything else they say about chicken seriously. They apparently have no idea what they're talking about. Or, I've bred multiple lines of...what do you call smelling impaired? Not deaf, not dumb, what would that be? Anyway, my birds must all have it. I have cockerels enthusiastically mounting their mothers and sisters all the time. And the hens are fine with it. 

All animals will breed off spring.......Hmmmmm? ......

Anyways...I agree with you.....lol...;)

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom