Pics to share...

Thanks, that last pic is my favorite,too.
As far as predators,we've got hawks around and possums & coons.My dog Rex is the possum killer! I've had chickens for three years & so far have only lost a pullet to a hawk.
I'm a stay at home chicken mom & stay outside alot with them.They all have a routine so I know where they're at most of the time. When they go to the garden I usually hang out there with them.
There are times I have to go to town,but my MIL lives here too and keeps an eye out for them.

Have a good day, Miriam

I think having a dog around deters alot of predators. My friends brother keeps a hound dog mix on her property(he is chained) and he gets along fine with her birds. She free ranges them. I think the dog presence keeps them away as she has coyotes and plenty of racoons around. She has only lost one bird so far to predators(a racoon they think). The birds were enclosed in their coop and somehow the racoon got through the wire(the birds were roosting on a ledge). The head was bit off and he did some damage to the other hen but she survived. This was before the dog came on the scene. She has been really lucky since this is her very first flock.
Have you ever considered of entering the last picture in Backyard Poultry magazine? You should cause I think it is definetly a winner.

Thanks Hot Wings, I noticed alot of folks like that pic! How do you get that magazine?
Over in the predators/pest section I've got a pic of Rex after he tossed a possum. He's more of an inside dog at night but he loves to go out at night & patrol the yard.

Have a good one, Miriam

It is a fairly new magazine(only been out for a year) and it only comes out every other month. I really love it alot! I live in southwestern Michigan and I buy my magazine at Tractor Supply & Feed. I don't know if they have them down your way or not(they are a chain here). I don't have my own pc(I come to the library and use theirs). I can dig up the address if you want.

Thanks Hot Wings, I can look up that.I wish we had a Tractor Supply, I think the closest is 3 hours from me. Don't have too many feed stores round here.
Momma Hen what part of La ya from? I wish our place was that green now,but spring is just around the corner! Oh yes, then come them pesky mosquitos!
Yall have a good one, Miriam

Hi Miriam,

I'm from the NW part of Louisiana. S'port & down around Toledo Bend area. I don't miss the skeeters! Haha or the cotton mouths! But miss listenin' to the frogs at nite. Miss that good ole Southern Hospitality! And those little backwoods country churchs. The Spanish moss & the sunset/rises on the bayous. Love all those beautiful plantations! And the cotton fields. Ah geez I could go on & on. I now live in the rolling hills of SW Missouri & love it. I've got family scattered all over LA & take a trip home every so often.

Hot Wings, thank you so much. I'm so dang busy right now with all these chickens, hopefully check that later tonite. I don't know what I was thinking getting 23 more little ones.
How can you stand that COOOOLD up there ! I like cold weather but man yall ,got it bad up that way. Keep warm & safe,okay.

Hey Momma Hen, I used to live in S'port several years ago.Also used to live up in Harrison,Ark. That is some beautiful country up there. One time went to Branson, not my cup of tea,though.Too crowded for me.

Hey it was nice talking with yall, later, Miriam

Back
Top Bottom