Picture copyright infringement related-

Kev

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Sun City, California
If I found out someone used one of my pictures posted only here for their website or auction and also found out the person is a BYC member, do I also report the member to the Admins?

In my case it was a picture used for ebay auction, found out the person is byc user. Already messaged the person via both ebay and BYC. Someone suggested I let the Admins about the member's practice so wanted to find out if that was advisable or not.

Thanks for the note, we take copyright violations very seriously. Usually here is the process we suggest:

1. Try contacting the person and kindly ask them to remove the picture. 95.49% of the time this works
  2. If they don't, tell them you'll be contacting the admin of the place that they posted the image (if on BYC, the BYC staff, if on a blog, the blog host, etc.)
  3. If they still don't respond, contact the admin / support of the service provider

When BYC get's copyright violation notifications; e.g., "Someone took my picture and posted it on BYC as their own." We do the following:

1. Verify that the image is the same one (you'd be surprised how often one SLW picture looks like someone else's)
  2. Verify that the person making the claim is indeed the owner of the image
  3. Contact the violator and ask them to remove it
  4. If no reply, we remove it ourselves and may take action to ban the member's access to our community

In this case it sounds like the picture was copied from BYC to another location. Unfortunately in these situations it is out of our jurisdiction and we have no access to their system (blog, website, etc.) to remove the items.

Again, hopefully just contacting the person directly (via PM is fine) will quickly take care of the issue.

Appreciate the reply very much. Got an reply from the person via ebay, sort of mixed message-in the end promises not to use that particular picture again but personally from his wording am wondering if he got the concept of copyright violation...

Thank you very much Nifty, glad to see BYC does take this topic seriously.

Back
Top Bottom