Pictures of Coop Construction. The first real build is DONE!

Quote:
Nice job on the coop!

I have to ask about the windows. Did you use glazing points on both sides of the glass to hold it in?

Here is what to do. This is how windows were done before all of the aluminum and vinyl.

Use quarter round stock finish-nailed into your frame. The glass (cut a 1/4" smaller to give an 1/8" gap all around) then inserts from the back and rests against the quarter round. The glazing points then hold the glass against the quarter round. Glazing putty is then rolled in your hand into a long rope and applied into the corner, using a putty knife held at the appropriate angle to form a nice fillet and "cut" the excess compound from the fillet. The outside of the window does not get caulked or glazed. When you paint it, you very carefully feather the paint just a bit onto the glass to seal the gap between the quarter round and the glass.

Hope this helps!

417-1074_PineQuarterRound.jpg

I did use the points on both sides! Haven't been knocked out yet...even with a few chickens flying into it.

For rev one of the windows, I did buy quarter round round "wood" and intended to do it as you described (and saw on youtube) but the quarter round I ended up with was some sort of plastic composite stuff that I could not nail through.

I gave up and just used glazing points on both sides and sealed it in with probably so much caulk I'll probably regret it when it fails.

For the one window I did use the dap33 on though, I found the putty to be very hard to work with even with a putty knife. When I tried to smooth it out, sometimes bits of the section would just peel and lift up off the glass part and it would be all ripply. I was probably doing it all wrong though and somehow got the stuff everywhere. LOL I suppose the first time I used silicone caulk it probably also ended up everywhere. For my next windows I'll have to try and find real wood quarter round and do it as you suggest and describe. I'll need to save it because believe it or not... it was VERY hard to find any info on "making a window".

For anything else I did wrong on the coop, do let me know!!! This is my first "real" construction project and if there are things I will need to put on the "fix" list, it would be great to know before it fails so I can plan ahead. The coop is 300 miles away from school so everything is already in a rush!

Thanks for all the comments!

Quote:
No wire covering the vents. I purposely left a 2 or so inch gap all the way around the entire roof line by not bringing up the siding to match. I didn't bother putting wire over it because I don't think anything will scale the wall to get up and over it. As for covering to keep bugs out... big door will be open all the time anyway so bugs will get in. Chickens have always slept under a tarp in the tractor part of their runs instead of in their attached hutch, so this is the most "luxurious" home to date.

Quote:
I recommend to my female friends in search of an all-in-one model to take their lunches and hang out in the CSE/EE atrium at their local University. LOL

"All-In-One Unit" here. Thank you for all your kind words. This certainly was a big learning experience for silkiechicken and I, and we had a blast building it. We by no means had a lot of experience going into this. I had to learn how to strike nails with a hammer (instead of 10-15 hits to drive a nail, 3-5), cut straight with a circular saw, and use a speed square. Those, amongst many other things.

The biggest thing, at least to me, was to have a good plan before starting construction. The detailed drawings that silkie and I generated made building it go very well as we knew the dimensions of every piece of lumber, which left us no guesswork at any point during the building process.

Once again, thanks, everyone
smile.png

Quote:
Nice job on the coop!

I have to ask about the windows. Did you use glazing points on both sides of the glass to hold it in?

Here is what to do. This is how windows were done before all of the aluminum and vinyl.

Use quarter round stock finish-nailed into your frame. The glass (cut a 1/4" smaller to give an 1/8" gap all around) then inserts from the back and rests against the quarter round. The glazing points then hold the glass against the quarter round. Glazing putty is then rolled in your hand into a long rope and applied into the corner, using a putty knife held at the appropriate angle to form a nice fillet and "cut" the excess compound from the fillet. The outside of the window does not get caulked or glazed. When you paint it, you very carefully feather the paint just a bit onto the glass to seal the gap between the quarter round and the glass.

Hope this helps!

http://www.menards.com/main/store/2...y/ProductMedium/417-1074_PineQuarterRound.jpg

Sounds like you know your windows... several years ago I referbed 63 eight-light windows on an old 1910 farmhouse in FL. Took a little over three months to complete. Very tedious, time consuming work but everyone was happy!

My chickens like to perch on 2 X 4inch boards so they can really rest their chests down on the 4 inch board.
That is what is important to the chickens!

Also, chain link will not keep out all predators.
Hope this helps some of you who are building!

Back
Top Bottom