Pictures of my Muscovies

Tuxedo thinking he is a boy 13 weeks old

Mohawk we are thinking also a boy same age.

Lumina (named by my cousins 3 year old daughter Bella) girl since she is tiny what color do you think she is?

Minny Moo is the tiniest one we have and a girl any thoughts on color?

Lil Tux a mini version of Tuxedo we are thinking girl

Snowball not sure if it's a boy or girl but very interesting color so we are keeping either way. Hard to see in the picture but an off white color with a light brown head. The one behind is a girl.

Whisper named by my niece also a girl.

Emma was told that she was a he but is very tiny and petite so I am guessing girl

A picture of Emma with the other ducks she is so tiny I can't think she could be a boy unless she is stunted somehow.

Last but certainly not least is Slick ( a girl but named by my son) Any thoughts on color she is such a cool coloring.

Decided to keep 9 total thinking two are boys and 7 girls hopefully that is a good ratio. Might have two more girls coming soon but they are only 3 weeks right now so we would have to wait a bit for them to get bigger.

So what do you think?
They´re gorgeous, and how nice to have so many females to males. And gorgeous colours!!!

Lily if you have 7 females, then I would keep at least 2 drakes. 3 should be ok as that would leave you with about 2 hens per drake. I've never had issues as that's what I try to keep (guiltily have 5 drakes right now with 9 gals).
At the moment I have just one 5-yr-old gentleman drake with 10 hens. Peaceful. And very good fertility still.
Ive got one hen that flys down to the pond almost every single day. She always comes home though.
All of my hens go out of my place into the neighbouring fields and marsh to go grub-hunting, and I love watching them coming back in to land for a rest in the shade under the trees....
big_smile.png

Ive got one hen that flys down to the pond almost every single day. She always comes home though.

Yeah the flying doesn't really bother me because so far they have stayed on my 2 acre property when they do. My only concern is the neighbor behind me has two gorgeous labs that are only a year old. I could see them catching one of my birds and using them as a chew toy just because they have no clue and everything is a toy to them. They don't seem to have boundaries and run all over. My property is fenced but if they fly out of it they might be puppy chow.

They´re gorgeous, and how nice to have so many females to males. And gorgeous colours!!!

Thank you I was really lucky with the hatching eggs I got this year. They hatched really well even though I wasn't expecting them too since I didn't have a clue how to hatch ducks lol.

At the moment I have just one 5-yr-old gentleman drake with 10 hens. Peaceful. And very good fertility still.
All of my hens go out of my place into the neighbouring fields and marsh to go grub-hunting, and I love watching them coming back in to land for a rest in the shade under the trees....
big_smile.png

Yeah I really love seeing them happy and don't mind them flying so much on the property. So far they are happy to get to the highest place they can and look down at the others who aren't flying up to see them. They are so funny and you can tell how pleased they are. They have just about landed on me a few times during feeding time. Good thing I watch for them. Wish I had more property or had nothing but forest behind me or pasture so they could go out and scavenge all over without worry as long as they came back at night.

Yeah the flying doesn't really bother me because so far they have stayed on my 2 acre property when they do. My only concern is the neighbor behind me has two gorgeous labs that are only a year old. I could see them catching one of my birds and using them as a chew toy just because they have no clue and everything is a toy to them. They don't seem to have boundaries and run all over. My property is fenced but if they fly out of it they might be puppy chow.

Very good reason to keep them on the ground.

Good point!

Back
Top Bottom