Pictures of Possible APA Standard Marans Please...

Quote:
Haha-
Well, I didn't elaborate because I have brought up the topic of breast color so many times on the this board I didn't want to be repetitive. That boy pictured is very nice, however, he is one of two of my roos that just have a wee bit too much copper on the breast to be show quality. It is not an amount that would be characterized as light spotting; it is not "parsimonious". It's hard to see in that picture however so, sorry for that.
I am aware that some sparse copper spotting is the more desirable of the two and I think all the confusion about this topic is puzzling. The French web site variety information and standard seem clear on this point. However I didn't think birds are faulted by the French for having a solid black breast. The French seem very specific on that point. They are on the other hand indeed faulted for having black eyes, black ear tufts (if the breast is not spotted) and shoulders that are not solid red (at maturity). There are a couple of points on the French site that are perhaps a little vague, but this is not one of them.

There are some specific reasons to have both black breasted and more colorful roos for use in a breeding program. This point is explained in detail on the French site under the section in the variety information that addresses balancing the copper color in breeding stock. The amount of color on the breast is not a stable or predictable characteristic so it needs to be frequently balanced-having roos of both types is important.

I do believe there seems to be a preference toward solid black-breasted roos among some breeders in the US, but the APA proposed standard allows for both-I just pulled it up and read it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh by the way when I say "not a stitch of color anywhere" I mean not a stitch of color anywhere on his breast-not the upper breast or lower breast and certainly not the wing bays and wing bars. Obviously, I still want solid red shoulders, orangey-red eyes, and appropriate hackle and saddle feather color.

I take for granted that people will understand what I'm saying but I need to be more clear
gig.gif

Last edited:
Since we're talking about color in the black copper--

I've got a black copper cockerel and hen who are both very definitely too dark for the standard. The cockerel fits the description of "mahogany" very well, and the hen is solid black.

If I get a chance this afternoon I'll take a coupla pics of the cockerel, at least.

Quote:
Happy -- The black copper is probably the most popular variety right now, and that's the variety being submitted first for approval by the APA. So everyone is focused on it at the moment.

Many people have more than one variety. For instance, I have BBS (black/blue/splash) coppers, BBS wheatens, and BBS birchens. You do need to keep them separated for breeding, of course, but otherwise they get along just fine.
smile.png

Do they not get along with other breeds?

I have lots of colours of Marans & Orpingtons. They free range together when not in the breeding pens. They are not a problem together. The Marans are a much busier breed than Orpingons & sometimes go much further afield. Marans males usually tend to be most dominant male.​

Ok I have a couple new pics. First is of the cockerel from the previous pics I just wanted to show his breast.
19853_front_shot.jpg

Here is pics of the 4month olds
19853_young_stag.jpg

19853_young_stag_front.jpg

Here is one of the Copper blue and the splash. Still young around 4-5 months.
19853_blue_splash.jpg

Then a few more updated pics of the girls
19853_davis_hen.jpg

19853_two_hens.jpg

19853_good_hen.jpg

and blue copper hen
19853_blue_hen.jpg

These are the ones I like best. I have others that dont fit the bill so much so I didnt waste my time getting pics of them. I will be thining out again soon
barnie.gif
Not that these totally fit the bill but I think they show some good qualities. I wish someone would post some pics of French marans from a show they attended in France that shows good detail.

Anyone?
caf.gif

Chef

Last edited:
I won't make any claims about how well my birds meet the standards, but I would love to here comments on them. Criticism is welcome - I won't cry
smile.png

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

These happen to be the only pics I have online right now. They are from my website. No time to upload more now. The rooster in front in the top pic does have a side sprig. I don't know if you can see him too well, but the rooster behind is darker and has no sprig. His body is stockier as well. Wish I had a pic readily available that showed him better.

Mountaintopchickens ~ Those are gorgeos pics! That first one is frame worthy..love the background and the very pretty birds!

Here is one of my hens and 2 roos - all 4 months old.

005-21.jpg

008-11.jpg

002-12.jpg

004-11.jpg

007-8.jpg

Last edited:
That first picture is beautiful...what a view! Where do you live?

In Vermont at the top of a mountain - that's why I'm mountaintopchicken
smile.png
. It's lovely in the fall, but in the winter? Sometimes the snow piles and blows so much the town plow trucks can't open the road, they gotta use the bulldozers.... brrr.

I hope this thread doesn't die - it's very interesting to see the pics and the differences between peoples birds.​

Back
Top Bottom