Pictures of Possible APA Standard Marans Please...

Quote:
Oh, thank you so much. I had been asking around about this for almost a year and had sort of given up. Glad I asked again!

Quote:
No one answered my question though - Is it normal for a hen (4 months old) to have white tips on her feathering on her shanks???? For the French Standard?

It's very common in chicks and young birds and they will probably molt out. It is a fault in adults, but again, it's not unusual and if it's only a couple tips it's no big deal.

I keep this beauty just especially because she will throw yellow chicks with a roo that carries wheaten. For that reason alone, she is worth her scratch until she dies, or quits laying. Well... that plus entertainment value... Oh, and she lays a huge brown egg nearly every day, doesn't fight, and is just a wonderful bird to have around...

brownrednn.jpg

Quote:
You have gotten lots of emails and PMs from me
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Littlepeddler has been a big help with me on educating me on the French Standard Marans....I still have a long ways to go though before I fully 'get' it all.....Hopefully by the time I start breeding, I will have something decent to work with.

No one answered my question though - Is it normal for a hen (4 months old) to have white tips on her feathering on her shanks???? For the French Standard?

Chicks - Horses, is the white feathers in the shanks or the toes.?
Brenda

LP~ On each leg she has just one feather that is black but has a white tip on the ends of them.

It isn't really noticable until you pick her up and get a close look but I don't recall ever seeing it before on other French standard birds. It is on her shanks not her toes. The part of the leg right before it turns into feet.

I would snap a picture but I can't find my camera right now.

Chicks, whites feathers are something that we should watch closely for sure. But the biggest majority of them can be from either a damaged follicle or even hormones. Most if pulled or allowed to molt out will grow back black or correct color. But it should be watch closely.
I have a BC Cock with 2 white feathers in is tail I leave them there for when he molts I want to see what replaces them.
I hope this helped you.
Brenda

Quote:
Having white tips on otherwise black feathers is common in young black birds. Those feathers will most likely molt out during the bird's first adult molt.
smile.png

Hi guys,,,I know this thread is about bc's but do any of you raise or work with the cuckoo marans? What "standard" are we looking at with this breed? I'm new here, and am currently working with a small number of BC's right now, but have a few older producing cuckoo's that I like just as well. I would be interested in learning whatever I can absorb about this particular Marnas, as I have a feather legged pullet coming up and would very much like to improve/incorp my program with quality & standard. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Ok after chasing my chickens back and forth I finally got a picture of my 2 Roos..What happend to those teenagers this weekend.
lol.png

Roo 1 has solid black chest....
20413_p7290362.jpg

Roo 2 has gold feathering
20413_p7290366.jpg

They are from 2 different lines and they are both very different in coloring..I love them both exept when chasinging them back and forth for photo's
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom