Pictures of Possible APA Standard Marans Please...

I recently acquired a pullet that is from two Black Copper parents.She is a total sport as she is Wheaton colored. I know that parentage is coorect as the breeder only has BC's.Has anyone else hatched one like this? Do you think she will produce BC's if bred to a BC rooster.What about if she is bred to a Splash ??
I will try to post a pic of her.She is very nice and I just bought her because she comes from a very dark egg line and she is a very nice pullet.She comes from Jessie Bryant stock right from his place.

Quote:
This isn't a sport. It's simply the expression of a hidden recessive trait.

It's fairly common for black copper Marans to carry the wheaten trait. But wheaten is recessive to black copper, so two birds that LOOK wheaten (have two copies of the wheaten gene) can never produce black coppers if bred together. If your bird is bred to a black copper all the offspring will look like black coppers, but they will all be carrying the wheaten trait -- and that's not something that's good for the breed.

Maria.if your goal is to get some more wheatens....breed her back to her father.
D.gif

Quote:
Right. I left an important word out of my post. It should have said "If your bird is bred to a HOMOZYGOUS black copper all the offspring will look like black coppers". If the wheaten bird is bred to a HETEROZYGOUS black copper -- which your rooster obviously is -- then half of the offspring will look black copper (but carry the wheaten gene) and half will be wheatens.

Unfortunately, this still perpetuates the problem of "black coppers" carrying the wheaten trait. And we really don't want to be producing more "mixed" birds if we can help it.

And there is still the problem of the wheatens inheriting unwanted genes from the copper blacks &/or the copper blacks losing genes by have been crossed with wheatens.
By & large copper blacks are ER with Mahogany & melanisers. Wheatens are just wheaten. Crossed the copper blacks can lose the mahogany & become too gold or lose melanisers & show too much colour on the breast. Conversely wheatens from copper black lines can inherit the mahogany &/or melanisers both of which are undesirable in wheaten Marans.

Quote:
Yup, that's an important point to keep in mind.

I am working with wheatens from three different sources right now, and one group of those birds did come from black coppers a couple of generations ago. I got them because I knew they came from good dark eggs -- but it is important to remember that they will also be likely to have some bad traits that will have to be bred out.

Unfortunately, too many folks (and I don't mean the OP here) think they can just hatch a couple of wheaten chicks out of black coppers and -- BOOM -- have their own instant perfect wheaten line. But in real life, it doesn't work that way!

Hey 3chickens do you have any more pics of your roo maybe a little closer up? Just curious to see his comb a little better. Thanks.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom