Pictures of Possible APA Standard Marans Please...

Quote:
Handsome fella! I love that dark color.

The English translation of the French standard no longer allows for a solid black breast. The official standard page says: "Black-breasted red, with parsimonious red spotting on the breast. " Does your guy have any spotting at all? I can't tell from the pic.

I wouldn't worry too much about the shank color. As the French standard states: "white or lightly pink coloured for all the varieties except for the BLACK, BROWN-RED and BIRCHEN Marans were grey or dark grey is permitted, although not preferred". So it might be a few points off, but dark shanks aren't even listed in the "serious defects" category.

Also, I can't tell about your guy's tail set. Birds move their tails around so much! Do you think the angle is 45 degrees? The French allow up to 60, I think, but the ideal angle should be about 45.

I like the heft and broadness of your guy. He looks like a great solid bird!

OK I am a little confused NOW we dont want a black chest?

BROWN-RED VARIETY (neither yellow nor mahogany coloured)
Cock black plumage, plainly copper coloured lancets of the hackles and of the back. Either plain black or red spotted breast. Dark wing bays and wing bars
This is straight from the french marans club on what they want..

I am confused
idunno.gif
amazondoc maybe you could explain in a little more detail...

Quote:
It depends on what you mean by "We". The proposed APA standard allows for either a black or lightly spotted breast. But you mentioned you were trying to breed to the FRENCH standard, so that's the information I gave you.
smile.png

ETA: Here's the official standard page for the French Club. There are lots of other pages with long descriptions of each variety, but only this one web page is the official standard (that's why it says "French Official Standard" at the top
wink.png
) --

http://marans-club.perso.neuf.fr/standang.htm#standard

Last edited:
Quote:
3Chickens, the French revised their Brown-Red standard this year so that light red markings on the rooster's breast are preferred. What you have referenced above is the English translation of the standard prior to their revision. The French standard no longer calls for black or lightly red spotted, only red spotted. David Hancox mentioned he believes that by "Parsimonious", or sparse, they mean no more than 10% of the breast area with the red markings.

Quote:
It depends on what you mean by "We". The proposed APA standard allows for either a black or lightly spotted breast. But you mentioned you were trying to breed to the FRENCH standard, so that's the information I gave you.
smile.png

ETA: Here's the official standard page for the French Club. There are lots of other pages with long descriptions of each variety, but only this one web page is the official standard (that's why it says "French Official Standard" at the top
wink.png
) --

http://marans-club.perso.neuf.fr/standang.htm#standard

I never said " But you mentioned you were trying to breed to the FRENCH standard" That was the post before mine...I said I was confused because you said no solid chests and we are on the"Pictures of Possible APA Standard Marans Please" Tread...
But Thanks for clearing up my confusion...
frow.gif

Quote:
Oh, sorry for MY confusion!

The whole thing is very confusing, in any case. The French standard DID allow for solid black breasts until a few months ago, and some pages on the French web site still DO allow for it. But the official French standard -- the page that I quoted -- does not.

But since you're in the US, don't worry too much about it if your roos happen to be all black in the breast.
wink.png

Quote:
Oh, sorry for MY confusion!

The whole thing is very confusing, in any case. The French standard DID allow for solid black breasts until a few months ago, and some pages on the French web site still DO allow for it. But the official French standard -- the page that I quoted -- does not.

But since you're in the US, don't worry too much about it if your roos happen to be all black in the breast.
wink.png

thumbsup.gif
Thanks

Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20413_p8120058.jpg
Geesh!!! I didn't even see ya posted.. I have been so crazy this week with homecoming..Dance is tomorrow so its almost back to normal...
lau.gif
I am sooo Glad!!

Thank you for the picture. He is a VERY handsome boy. I cant really tell from the pic but Im sure you can tell me. Does the back of his comb touch the top of his head? Thanks.

Chef

I just picked this one up yesterday. Tell me what you think. I think maybe he needs a little more coppering. He's better than my all red breasted roosters though.
roll.png
Also he's still young so maybe he will get better with some age.

BCM1.jpg

BCM2.jpg

BCM3.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom