Pied Pattern

frenchblackcopper
A charcoal white-eye hen won't do you any good because charcoal hens don't lay you need to find a hen that is split to charcoal. I give away all the charcoal hens I hatch to people that just want a hen for looks. This is why charcoal are so hard to work with to get what you are breeding for because you have to use split hens. That a nice looking male if you want to get rid of him send him my way.

I remembered that after I typed it,about non fertile hens,and the breeder that sold me the egg this guy came from has offered to buy him from me already,your just wanting me to send,send him your way?I know,it was meant as a joke,but I've seen what some breeders sell breeding aged Charcoal males for,I'm trying to work out a trade for some peach eggs,or hens for next year with her,,possibly put this male with a B/S Silver pied hens,,,and the poor hatch rate this spring we're having from shipped eggs,that means buying adult hens ,equals more $$$$$ spent,and now more pens to build,,it goes on and on.

If you can't find a split hen for him I would put a siliver pied or blackshoulder silver pied hen and should produce some silver pied split charcoals and I would breed the hens back to the daddy. As far as prices on charcoal the price has drop in the last few years when I bought my first charcoal male I paid 1000.00 for him and a split hen he was 5 years old when he died most want live over 7 years. There still too many problem with the charcoal and most breeder want pay much for them. In 2009 I hatch 4 charcoal males sold them for 100.00 ea but your is worth alot more because of what he is.

Deerman,,,are those for sale? I thought you had sold out a long time ago,,??? How old are they? My Charcoal egg came from Jeanna in Wadesville Indiana,,she mentioned you many times in our conversations in the past,,she too has bought eggs from you. I sent you a pm weeks ago,asking if you would sell any eggs,but you must not have gotten it,and then I thought maybe you had sold out of all your birds completely.I have asked Jeanna if she would partner with me on this male,,she supply the hens,,I in turn incubate every egg and split them 50/50 with her,,is that fair?

Yes all my birds are for sale ,have less than 20....as far as eggs , been traveling so some of the hens have starting to set, not selling but have gave some away

Jeanna, has nice healhty birds,.....she does have some of peach birds ,peach white eyes from me.

Rather sell birds for pick up...

Pied is a mutant gene of its own. Crossing a color with a white will just give you what's known as split whites. Split whites are colored all over like normal save for varying amounts of white feathers on the flights.

If you want pied, will have to at least buy one pied then breed offspring back to it to get more pieds. Other options are getting a pied pair or one pied and a white.

Pied is also a little funny, as in pure pied don't have much white, in fact can look same as split whites- colored everywhere save for some white on flights and maybe chin too. This is because the pieds with patches of white are genetically half pied half white.. so those kind of pieds cannot breed true, always throwing pure pied, 'patchy pieds' and/or solid whites.

Pied bred to pied will give you 50% pied offspring, 25% whites and 25% of those pure pieds(often called dark pied).

Pied bred to white will give you 50% pied and 50% whites.

If you get just one pied, be aware that pied bred with a India Blue will produce all blue looking chicks, some will have white in their wings, some will not have any white at all. All of them are needed for more pied offspring though.

Beware, I've seen some sellers try to claim that breeding say, a India Blue with a white will give you pieds- ignore those, this really is not true at all.

p.s. it doesn't matter what sex, a pied peacock bred with white peahen will give same results as vice versa.
I have a pied chick, about six weeks now. Cannot explain it.

Mother, Sally, is ½ "English" cuckoo Marans, ¼ white leghorn, ¼ buff Orpington. Dad is Sparky, Sally's son. Sparky's dad, Arno, was a McMurray ameraucana, white-headed, gold sickle freathers, mixed black, gold and red feathers splashed over white. McMurray's ameraucana line predates breed standardization so the colors vary.

Did not mean to line breed. Sparkyp was supposed to go to the coop with unrelated hens his own age, but he insisted on the old ladies' coop.

I have a lot of chicks from those two, but nothing like this. I tried searching online and could only find pics of splash chickens. Pieds posted were all peafoul, guineas, cockatiels and a pheasant, even when I included 'chicken' in the search.

Suspect this is a cokerel, so can't keep. Too related to too many. What does one do with a pied chicken.

I have a pied chick, about six weeks now. Cannot explain it.

Mother, Sally, is ½ "English" cuckoo Marans, ¼ white leghorn, ¼ buff Orpington. Dad is Sparky, Sally's son. Sparky's dad, Arno, was a McMurray ameraucana, white-headed, gold sickle freathers, mixed black, gold and red feathers splashed over white. McMurray's ameraucana line predates breed standardization so the colors vary.

Did not mean to line breed. Sparkyp was supposed to go to the coop with unrelated hens his own age, but he insisted on the old ladies' coop.

I have a lot of chicks from those two, but nothing like this. I tried searching online and could only find pics of splash chickens. Pieds posted were all peafoul, guineas, cockatiels and a pheasant, even when I included 'chicken' in the search.

Suspect this is a cokerel, so can't keep. Too related to too many. What does one do with a pied chicken.
You make chicken pot pie. Seriously, you are in the peafowl section and our genetics do not necessarily work for chickens.

I know this is a really old thread, but I have a story to tell. We've had peacocks for years. We never once got a pied for over 7 years. But then last year we got 4 pied. But last year all of our hens died from some strange illness. So did all the chicks, including 3 pied. One hen died with 4 eggs under her. I grabbed the eggs and put them in the incubator not thinking they would hatch. A couple of days later I heard cheeping in the incubator. 4 out of 4. One was a pied. I tried to raise them but they all died from the same illness even though they'd never had contact with the other peacocks. So, the first time I got pied chicks I also lost all but one hen. Now I have one hen who should be laying soon. We went through all this effort to breed pied but now we've lost the 2 hens who have produced pied. Hopefully this last 2 year old hen can breed pied.

Back
Top Bottom