PIG Stampede!?

Indiana hens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Pendleton, Indiana
Ok, I hope not! I am wanting to move pigs from the next door neighbors. I don't know if this is actually a cattle drive? Can't get GF to dust off her saddle and ride them. I've seen them move pigs at the fair ; sure looks easy! Just 2 of them so I was thinking about skipping their breakfast and luring them with slop in the evening? Anybody do this?

i think with pigs food ALWAYS works!...
lol.png

Be prepared for a chase...I would presonally either get them into a trailor and haul them (even it it's the neighbors) or get some fencing and move one at a time. You can make a little corral type thing that when the fence hits the pigs butt he moves--or is suppose too...I seen it on dirty jobs one time..I think it's just hog panel or something. when moving the pig the fencing is more as a guide for where you want the pig to go. are these big pigs or piglets??
Treats are always a plus, but I would still prepare for a chase...

Its not a fun thing to do. I moved mine a few feet and it took 30 minutes to get them in the trailer. I was alone and only had a bucket of food. They ran around for awhile and finally got in the trailer. They can run fast and do alot of damage in a few minutes. Haul them if you can.

in 4H you learn to move them with a staff, they actually get kind of trained to do it which may be what you see at the auction. Pigs are smart, if they see the opportunity they will bolt. I agree with loading them onto a trailer or if you can get enough people with panels to surround each one at a time to move them.

I had to move mine about 100 feet. She was about 80lbs at the time. Well I made a harness out of a lead rope. And Held her so she could only go forward well my boyfriend lured her with cottage cheese. Looking back I might have tried to but the rope behind her bottom to help get her moving. It took a little bit of time. A step a bite of cottage cheese. Then wait, finally a step again. Haul them if you can!!

Back
Top Bottom