Pigeon Fanciers

Mary Of Exeter

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Rowan County, NC
I was just wondering how many other pigeon fanciers there are on the site
smile.png

And do you just have them for fun/pets, or competitions like rollers, pigeon racing, or showing?
What breeds do you have?

I just had to take a break from this chicken streak I've been on lately....or else I might turn into one!
ep.gif

That is a Modena. They are show birds and very poor fliers, as you've noticed. Definitely catch him or he will soon be eaten by something. Then you can post the info on the leg band and I can help you find the owner (or at least the person who bought the band).

HI EVERYONE JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE BAINTY EGG THAT I SLIPPED UNDER MY PIGEONS HATCHED ABOUT A MONTH AGO AND IS PERFECTLY HEALTHY I'M SO EXCITED TO TRY IT AGAIN.
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

We have modenas, english owl, norwich cropper, voorburg shield pouter, valencian thief pouter, swiss mondain and some shield marked racers......

I had a pair of parlor rollers
and a pair that just showed up at my house one day (different days)....one was racer who itried contacting the club it came from and never got a responce and theother was a nontagged normal looking pigeon hen.

I miss htem so much would raise any sort of pigeon again just because I really like them. deffinatly like them a lot more than doves.

Wow, you guys have breeds I've always wanted!
Norwich croppers and ice pigeons. They're some gorgeous birds
smile.png

Those trumpetes are pretty too.

I also like pigeons more than doves. Mostly because you can let them go and they come back. Poor little doves have a hard enough time finding their way around the building
tongue.png

I raise Homers, I do not race them but I do breed for unique colours and nice type.

I handraise most of my young ones, esspecially out of pairs that produce really odd coloured ones. I like nice and Calm birds, and when handraised, homing pigeons are wonderful and calm birds. I try not to raise more then 10 at once tho, its just such a mess when you have 10 babies pushing eachother away from the bottletrying to get at it....

Its a lot of fun though!

Oh I love getting fancy colors in my birds. Of course since I race now, color isn't the most important thing...but I still like the surprises
smile.png
I'm going to try to get some blacks to mate with my indigo birds...so that hopefully I'll have a flock of andalusian homers to kick everyone's butts with
fl.gif

(I'm a color genetics nerd, by the way
wee.gif
)

I don't feel very comfortable with hand raising babies unless I have to. I feel more safe letting the parents do the job. But once they're weaned I usually start handfeeding them seeds and peanuts to get them tame. Then before I know it, I've got a pigeon on each shoulder, foot, knee, and one on my head!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom