Pigeon pairing question

Jake v8

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2022
Recently my pair of pigeons laid an egg. The thing is the female is the only one showing interest in the egg. The other one just sits a couple feet away and watches. I am thinking I might have two females? Leading up to the egg laying they were doing every thing paired pigeons do (preening each other, one Cooing while courting. One showing the other one nest building material) then when the egg was laid it all stopped and the “male” stopped showing interest

Sounds like you do have a male and female judging by behavior, if two females pair up you might end up with as many as four eggs in the nest so just the one makes me think you’ve got a male/female pair. Did you candle the egg to see if it’s fertile? Are they young birds, do you know if they have raised any young before? It could be inexperience on their part if they’re first time parents, and some birds just aren’t the best parents no matter what.

Sounds like you do have a male and female judging by behavior, if two females pair up you might end up with as many as four eggs in the nest so just the one makes me think you’ve got a male/female pair. Did you candle the egg to see if it’s fertile? Are they young birds, do you know if they have raised any young before? It could be inexperience on their part if they’re first time parents, and some birds just aren’t the best parents no matter what.
They are still young about a year. The egg is 3 days old so it’s too early to candle but In a couple days hopefully I can tell

I also agree with sourland, they might not start sharing duties for a bit. They are young though, and inexperienced, so there might be a few bumps in the road! Within a few days they should hopefully start taking shifts.

I also agree with sourland, they might not start sharing duties for a bit. They are young though, and inexperienced, so there might be a few bumps in the road! Within a few days they should hopefully start taking shifts.
Alright that’s great to know I will see what happens as time goes on

The second egg was laid the male still showed zero interest. The eggs I candled were infertile. Also the male never showed interest in breeding the female. I’m pretty convinced they are two females

Back
Top Bottom