Pigeon Squab can't stand up.

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
First time I have experienced anything like this with my pigeons.

One of the squabs seems to have very weak legs and feet and can't stand up or move about.

I noticed when I inspected the nest as I was concerned the smaller of the squabs was lagging behind in growth. Usually squabs will stand on their haunches and snap at my hand in defense. The bigger one did this, but the behaviour of the smaller one was worrying. It just did nothing, only lay there watching me.

I think the parents are neglecting it as it had no food in its crop and seemed really weak and 'floppy', compared the much bigger squab.

I took it out to get a good look. Everything seems fine, its got no swellings on the joints, or damage or broken bones. The legs are all in the correct position. I stood it up, but it just flops back onto its belly. It does not move its legs or feet, but are not stiff.

If I support it under its belly it will very weakly try to walk, but does not even struggle much. It's very strange.

I started to removed the bigger squab at feeding times so the little on gets filled up first, then I put the bigger one back after to get its share.

That was 2 days ago. Since then the smaller squab now gets to eat, and it is brighter and more alert, and feels heavier. However, it still never attempts to shuffle about or stand up.

Anyone had a bird like this before? PS, it does not seem sick, and its poops are all normal. Its always bright and alert, looking about too.

One of the squabs seems to have very weak legs and feet and can't stand up or move about.

I noticed when I inspected the nest as I was concerned the smaller of the squabs was lagging behind in growth. Usually squabs will stand on their haunches and snap at my hand in defense. The bigger one did this, but the behaviour of the smaller one was worrying. It just did nothing, only lay there watching me.

I think the parents are neglecting it as it had no food in its crop and seemed really weak and 'floppy', compared the much bigger squab.

I took it out to get a good look. Everything seems fine, its got no swellings on the joints, or damage or broken bones. The legs are all in the correct position. I stood it up, but it just flops back onto its belly. It does not move its legs or feet, but are not stiff.

If I support it under its belly it will very weakly try to walk, but does not even struggle much. It's very strange.

I started to removed the bigger squab at feeding times so the little on gets filled up first, then I put the bigger one back after to get its share.

That was 2 days ago. Since then the smaller squab now gets to eat, and it is brighter and more alert, and feels heavier. However, it still never attempts to shuffle about or stand up.

Anyone had a bird like this before? PS, it does not seem sick, and its poops are all normal. Its always bright and alert, looking about too.
How old is it? If it is now getting enough food and you have been handling it, it may not see you as a threat. Some of my squabs have been fairly chilled with me and don't flap at me. Some are more jumpy. Hopefully it should be out the nest soon and be shuffling about on its own.

I have not encountered this problem. The only thing that comes to mind is a genetic defect, ... Could the parents be too closely related?

Good advice above. Are you force feeding it anything? Right now, what it needs is food, with lots of water mixed in. Pictures would help.

*edit: I missed that bit of now getting good from parents, so disregard what I said. I think it will catch up just fine.

Last edited:
It sounds like maybe the parents weren't feeding the smaller one enough so developmentally it was a bit behind its sibling even though they were similar ages.
I think you did the right thing, and now that its getting a better percentage of the food from mom and dad its growing quicker and passing all the milestones.

Thanks for all the replies. Its definitely stronger now, and I don't have to remove the big squab all the time, as the parents are not feeding both equally. But I am keeping a close eye on it.

I added some chicken layer pellets to the pigeon food.. so it gets more calcium, and also smashed up a cuttlefish bone into their grit mix... and saw the squabs parents eating a lot of it.

I will post an update in a few days, and I will check its crop has food in it a couple times each day.

It's unlikely a genetic thing, because their pair are not related at all and come from different lofts in different parts or the country... plus they have raised many healthy squabs over the years with no problems.

I am now thinking the squab is malnourished because the bigger one got most of the food, and all the food in the end when the smaller one was too weak to beg properly. Hopefully I caught the situation in time.

One of the squabs I had didn't really walk on his own until a slightly older age. That was when he came out of the nest and had to chase his parents around for food. He also gradually began flying/walking and over time, got his legs stronger and then walked normally.

The other case is that if there was too much inbreeding, I think that also leads to some squabs with walking issues. However, this would persist into adulthood if that were the case.

Back
Top Bottom