Pigeon Talk

I agree here. :goodpost:,, Also wanted to add. Uncooked rice is not digestible in chickens, so may also hold true for pigeons.
If it is a tumbler,,, the pigeon is not very far from home. May have been chased and escaped an areal predator. They have no homing skills to speak of. Aside returning to KIT, or LOFT.
Thanks! Yes, I figured the owner is not far. I don't know of anyone with pigeons around here though. I might post in the lost and found section on Craigslist.

You mentioned watery droppings, were they green and discolored or just watery? If not then I’m thinking simple malnutrition and stress is causing the droppings issues and they should clear up with some feeding.

Also a word or warning that peas are great for pigeon feed but also turn the droppings a greenish shade. It’s definitely distinct from the sickly lime green or very dark bile-stained green you see in ill or starving pigeons.

Thank you! Her droppings are greenish-gray, not lime or dark green.
Actually, her latest poop was quite green and she hasn't been eating anything green. Is this a bad sign?

pp.jpg

So...I unexpectedly became a pigeon keeper yesterday. I was out birding on my property and came across this guy/gal on the bank of a river near the road. I was able to catch it easily with a net and bring it back inside to recuperate. It's obviously someone's pet (banded) and I have contacted the appropriate association to try and find its owner but they have not responded yet.

It has perked up a lot since I caught it. It had to rest and dry off for a few hours before it was ready to eat, drink, and fly again. It still has very watery diarrhea though. I have been giving it raw brown rice as it's pretty much the only pigeon-appropriate food I have on hand, but if I have to keep it longer I'll buy something else. What feed should I get for a short term stay?

And can anyone tell me breed or sex?

View attachment 3818523View attachment 3818524View attachment 3818525
We feed our pigeon Kaytee dove food, all petcos should carry it, but it might be in the wild bird food section. Also, s/he probably has coccidiosis, which is super common in pigeons. You might check for feather mites too.

We feed our pigeon Kaytee dove food, all petcos should carry it, but it might be in the wild bird food section. Also, s/he probably has coccidiosis, which is super common in pigeons. You might check for feather mites too.
Thanks! I was thinking coccidiosis as well. Would that cause fast breathing? Been trying to decide if I should start her on Corid even though I might not have her by the end of the week. Do you know the dosage? I have handled her multiple times and haven't noticed mites yet. Still waiting on a call from the pet store that sold her.
finger-gif.1056702

Thanks! I was thinking coccidiosis as well. Would that cause fast breathing? Been trying to decide if I should start her on Corid even though I might not have her by the end of the week. Do you know the dosage? I have handled her multiple times and haven't noticed mites yet. Still waiting on a call from the pet store that sold her.
finger-gif.1056702
Unfortunately, I dont remember the dosage. Fast breathing could be from being sick or stress i suppose, but idk. That seems a bit worrying.

finger-gif.1056702
I thinkkkkk @casportpony might know the dosage.

Back
Top Bottom