Pine and Cedar shavings are dangerous

I have a 10' by 12' peachick (baby peacocks) building they stay in when little. The floor is covered with 3 inches of pine shavings. I do sometimes see the chicks eating it but have never lost a chick in the 3 years of using them. I've lost no chicks to anything so must mean they work pretty well keeping their habitat sanitary. They also can go out the door onto the ground of their outside run is about the same size. Natural dirt, leaves and some large chunk cedar shavings from us renting a chipper years ago to chip cedar we cut down on our property. I know you'll now say NEVER USE CEDAR but this has aired out on the property for years and it used only outside in fresh air. Have had no problems, illnesses or deaths. In fact my birds are healthy healthy. I worm them every 6 months.

I'm a proud papa of eight 9 week old chicks. I've also heard about cedar shavings being dangerous. I see also your concern was about pine shavings. I researched pine needles and couldn't find any cons. I've been using them to line the bottom of the coop and so far have seen no issues. The needles work really well and hey there free...5 arces worth. They really help to minimize the odor and gives the girls something to scratch around in. If someone knows any cons to using pine needles, please let me know.

For new chics in a brooder I've hand shreaded newspaper in strips to line their box. This seem to work well also with no adverse affects.

I have read that cedar is toxic, but I hadn't heard that about pine. I have been using pine shavings now for three years with absolutely no problems, however, I only use it for my nesting boxes and brooders.

The oils in cedar is toxic but what we're using was chipped about 7 years ago so it's well dried/aired out. Also we're using it outside....not in a closed in area. Actually started using it about 3 years ago and have had no problems.

I put the pine shavings in the chick house way before chicks go in there to let them air out some. They do have a strong odor. I have 2 large vents up at about 9 feet high that I can open and close, 4 windows and a fan bringing in fresh air. It only takes a few days and the odor is pretty much gone.

Not sure why my link doesn't work. I'll try a different link. to add to the disscussion I would like to point out that we are selling seasoned shavings, therefore the amount of sylvic acid aka abietic acid is greatly reduced.http://www.researchgate.net/publica..._OF_THE_RESINS_IN_JACK_PINE_(PINUS_BANKSIANA)

That's interesting, but it seems to be an evaluation of the wood content, rather than an evaluation of the content's effects on the body. As mentioned by the National Institute of Health, the effects of abietic or plicatic acids are both time- and dose-dependent - i.e. even small doses, repeated over time, cause tissue damage. Has your company done further evaluations on the health effects of the wood and its contents?

Maybe peachicks (baby peacocks) are different then chicken chicks. I do see the chicks eating it but chicks eat lots they shouldn't if running around on ground. I have a building that is 10' by 12' with wood floor I need to cover ...........if not pine shavings (large size) then what can I use?

Maybe peachicks (baby peacocks) are different then chicken chicks. I do see the chicks eating it but chicks eat lots they shouldn't if running around on ground. I have a building that is 10' by 12' with wood floor I need to cover ...........if not pine shavings (large size) then what can I use?

The harmful stuff in the wood (abietic and plicatic acids) is in all species of softwoods in different amounts (softwoods being the group of species, not just soft wood - pine, cedar, fir, hemlock, yew, etc.) Hardwoods like aspen, birch, oak, and maple don't contain the acids. :)

Hmmm, I guess my chickens didn't read that chapter in the book....they've been on shavings since day one. The first couple of days I covered them with paper towels until I knew that they were eating well, and yep, they ate a few bits until they figured out that food was in the big container with the holes in it and poop was in the shavings, but all are hale and hardy. I think it's misleading to make a generalized statement like "Pine and Cedar Shavings ARE Dangerous" when simply saying that they "Might" be dangerous would have been more accurate. No one disputes that shavings might be eaten by very young chicks with detrimental effects. They'll also eat anything else that finds it's way into the brooder with the same outcome. New chicken owners have enough to worry about (Am I doing this right? Are they warm enough or too warm? Why are they doing that? What did I do wrong?) without being scared of yet another issue with a slight - slight - potential for problems. When I got my chicks I found a million ways to give myself a guilt complex - not doing that again.

Back
Top Bottom