Pink dots/streaks on back of legs/feet

Wilderre

Chirping
Sep 8, 2023
As a first time chicken keeper, this is my and their first winter. I worry about every new potential obstacle. These last few days have been our coldest yet, with single digit wind chill. I used Vaseline on combs and wattles as well as legs and tops of toes and have noticed that some of my girls have pink/red dots or streaks on parts of their legs/toes. This is a photo of the most obvious case. They don’t act like anything is wrong. (I had just put antibacterial ointment on this spot before the photo...to explain why it looks shiny.) Should I be concerned? Is there something I should do/not do?
Thanks much, as always.

Attachments

• 20231220_190434.jpg
    20231220_190434.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20231220_190341.jpg
    20231220_190341.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 7
The coloration is hormone lines. It's present on both hens, & roosters. But most prominent on roosters.

Vaseline, or petroleum Jelly can actually cause frostbite. Just thought I'd give the heads up.

The coloration is hormone lines. It's present on both hens, & roosters. But most prominent on roosters.

Vaseline, or petroleum Jelly can actually cause frostbite. Just thought I'd give the heads up.
Thanks! What do u put on their combs and wattles for cold cold weather? 1 had a bleeding comb just from making contact with a cold feeder at 25 degrees. I used blue kote for healing but don't really want them to bleed in the first place

Don't use petroleum jelly on there feet, it can become an irritant and develop into a rash. You only use it as a treatment for scaley leg mites.

The best way to keep the chickens comfortable is keeping there coop dry as possible during winter. Block wind paths coming into the coop while providing enough ventilation.

If there's small cuts and bleed out use hydrogen peroxide on a cotton pad and hold it on the cut for a few minutes. It will stop the bleeding and then apply the bluekote.

Don't use petroleum jelly on there feet, it can become an irritant and develop into a rash. You only use it as a treatment for scaley leg mites.

The best way to keep the chickens comfortable is keeping there coop dry as possible during winter. Block wind paths coming into the coop while providing enough ventilation.

If there's small cuts and bleed out use hydrogen peroxide on a cotton pad and hold it on the cut for a few minutes. It will stop the bleeding and then apply the bluekote.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom