Has anyone had experience or heard what has come of a cross between a cream egg layer with something darker with red tones? (Marans, Penedesenca, Croad Langshan, ect...)
Interesting twist.
No experience. I did have some welsummer that laid reddish looking eggs.
At the time I was looking for darker eggs.
I hear sometimes welsummer eggs advertises as "terra cotta" maybe that's what mine laid.
You may want to check into those.

Interesting twist.
No experience. I did have some welsummer that laid reddish looking eggs.
At the time I was looking for darker eggs.
I hear sometimes welsummer eggs advertises as "terra cotta" maybe that's what mine laid.
You may want to check into those.
Mine lay a sort of terra cotta with spots, but that's the shade, whether they are reddish or not is a matter of opinion. Welsummers are an awesome bird to own though.

Mine lay a sort of terra cotta with spots, but that's the shade, whether they are reddish or not is a matter of opinion. Welsummers are an awesome bird to own though.
So what do you think?
If you crossed yours with a lighter egg like cream?
Think it would lighten it to more of a pink shade then tan shade?

I have BC and Splash Marans, but I've seen a large variation in the shades of eggs online (mine are all pretty much more chocolate toned), some are definitely more red tones than others.

In theory I was thinking the cream might tone down the dark red, making it more warm, whereas white may not have that affect.

I posted the question on another thread and got this response. I'm copying it here so if others missed it.

I have hen, whose mother is white Leghorn and Wellsummer father - she lays light cream eggs. Other hen which has Faverolle mother and Black Cooper Marans father - she lays darkish Brown eggs, but much lighter than Marans, maybe #3 on the Marans chart.

It does answer my question, but I'm not sure if selectively choosing a pinkish-cream and a reddish-brown would change the result...

I have a buff Orpington that lays large pink eggs.- Now, not all of them are pink- most are buff, sometimes with white splattered spots- but at least once a week she lays one that is really quite pink. I will post a pic of the next one.

I never really noticed, but twice guests to my house have exclaimed "you have a pink egg!" when they see the eggs on my egg rack. Now I always notice when they are pink.

I think that video clip is real. (the one from the middle east).

Back
Top Bottom