Pipd's Peeps!

I can't stop staring at them :love

1682780264628.png

1682780343716.png

Okay, so I'm a bit of a baby talker with my birds, and maybe I make some squealing noises with the babies when they're being extra super cute. :oops: Well, that may or may not have happened while I was taking those pictures, and then I turned around and noticed this in the doorway of the coop--all four of the other hens judging me. 🤣

1682780808470.png
Awe. So sweet they are checking in you.

Haha, that's a nicer impression than what I had! I was standing in there like, oops, they're all giving me judgemental looks because I am ridiculous! 🤣 At least it was the chickens and not someone in my family that had witnessed that... Though I'm not sure that it would surprise anyone at this point, if I'm being totally honest!

How long should I wait before free ranging my young group? They are integrating well - though I still need to separate the young fellows. I'm thinking of keeping the bb oegb with his girl because otherwise she will be alone. She does hang out with the big girls and squeezes in for cuddles when they are roosting. Cheddar is not super interested in them, but if they are in his way, he will peck them.
The other cochin cockerel is a bantam - he hasn't grown much and sometimes it's hard for me to tell him apart from Lemon. 😆

How long should I wait before free ranging my young group?

It depends on your comfort level, I think. If they're reliably perching where they should be, then they technically could go out to free-range at any point, as they should still return to perch in the proper location. I think I usually wait until about 3 months of age at the minimum, which is about where your littles are at, right? Be very aware of any hawk activity with OEGBs in the mix, though, as they're tiny and very easily snatched.

The other cochin cockerel is a bantam - he hasn't grown much and sometimes it's hard for me to tell him apart from Lemon. 😆

Wow, he must have been a lot older than you were told--seems like he was huge compared to those OEGBs when you got them all! :th

It depends on your comfort level, I think. If they're reliably perching where they should be, then they technically could go out to free-range at any point, as they should still return to perch in the proper location. I think I usually wait until about 3 months of age at the minimum, which is about where your littles are at, right? Be very aware of any hawk activity with OEGBs in the mix, though, as they're tiny and very easily snatched.

Wow, he must have been a lot older than you were told--seems like he was huge compared to those OEGBs when you got them all! :th
I wonder if he is older then, I will take his pic in a bit if I can.

Well, I don't know now he looks as big as the barred rocks. :th
Also attaching one of my handsome creles. 😍 And Pearl (plus creles).
This bunch is the sweetest.

Edited because I found one more with the 3 cochins in the same shot. The other 2 are farther away of course.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230503-192246.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230503-192246.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 1
  • VideoCapture_20230503-192317.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230503-192317.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230503_180447.jpg
    20230503_180447.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230503_180506.jpg
    20230503_180506.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230503_180442.jpg
    20230503_180442.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 1
  • VideoCapture_20230503-194229.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230503-194229.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Aww, look at them! :love Love those OEGB boys!

So, I've been digging through pictures of my Cochins and OEGBs growing up, and looking back at the pictures when you first got them, and I strongly suspect that the Cochin was at least 3 weeks old, if not 4, when you got him. That would explain a lot of the size discrepancies as he grew, why he's been the same size as the large fowl pullets this whole time, etc. To my eye, your OEGBs looked to be about 1-2 weeks old as well, while the large fowl pullets definitely looked like they were under a week old. So they were just all over the place with ages from the looks of it!

It makes sense that we thought he was large fowl for so long, that age difference is everything! A few years back, I raised tiny OEGBs together with large fowl Easter-eggers. When I first introduced them in the brooder, the EEs were about 2 weeks old and the OEGBs were just under 6 weeks old, and because of that age difference, they were almost the same size! It was the only time Vega and Altair ever outsized anyone in their lives. 🤭

Vega and Altair with babies.jpg

And now, of course, they're vastly different in size:

Fifi and Altair foraging 10-30-19.jpg

Point being, that age difference really makes all the difference!

I was told the bantams were 7-10 days old, I guess I thought it meant all of the bantams including the cochin. 😁 But, all of this makes a lot of sense.
The cochin isn't as fond of me as the oegbs are, so he was harder to get pics of. 😁 Also, the up close pic of the crele is the one that got stuck in the fencing. Obviously, he is just fine.
Enjoy your day today, looks like we have a really nice one! 🔆

It's finally happening! Trixie's laying an egg!! Almost 13 months old, but I do think she's been laying for a week or two already and I've only just caught her in the act. Still... Finally! The gals almost two months younger than her were laying ages ago! :th

1683326642884.png

Back
Top Bottom