pipping but not hatching, need the experts help

Hi, no I would not consider it dead not after 12 hours you may not have seen movement because it is resting. Hatching takes a lot of hard work for the chick. There are no rules set in stone for hatching all chicks are different. I have had some do an external pip but then not hatch for 24 hours. Try not to worry and let nature take its corse.:fl

I know this is late but.... If you dont see progress take a pair of tweezers and carefully pip an line around the egg where the chick started to pip. Do not tear the inner membrane in the process just in case the chick hasnt absorbed all the blood into itself yet. Then give it a half hour to see if it will push out on its own. If it doesnt and the inner membrane blood vessels are pretty much empty then remove the top half of the egg shell the peel back the membrane. Then let the chick come out of the shell on its own. If it cant do that on its own there is little chance it will survive.

This would be my advice too :)

Ahhh! When should I do it? Now? This is my first hatch and I'm really freaked out!
barnie.gif

I assisted it but it was already dead. I think it died over night. I'm now sitting up with one that is taking it's sweet time but is still peeping here and there so I'm hopeful. We had two others hatch healthy this afternoon and another one die. What makes them start to zip then die?

I assisted it but it was already dead. I think it died over night. I'm now sitting up with one that is taking it's sweet time but is still peeping here and there so I'm hopeful. We had two others hatch healthy this afternoon and another one die. What makes them start to zip then die?
There are a lot of things that can go wrong with hatching. I know I have been guilty of assisting too much and I also have had a lot of success with assisting with hatches. My last experience assisting with a hatch made me never want to assist again. I had a single chick left that had pipped but didn't progress, all others had successfully hatch without assistance. Finally after I knew she wouldn't make it I assisted and the chick was very very weak and uncoordinated. I figured this was stress from hatching but after helping the chick survive for 2 days by hand feeding and holding it for it to drink it died. It lacked basic coordination needed even for eating/drinking and it never recovered - it was never meant to hatch. My first ever hatch on the other hand I assisted 2 chicks successfully that wouldn't have ever made it and they grew up to be strong healthy birds. One of the chicks that died on this hatch managed to eviscerate her yolk sack while in the egg and I suspect suffocated on the liquid.

For me, I will not assist with a chick that pipped less than 24 hours prior or before day 21 because often times the blood vessels haven't dried up yet and you can kill the chick from blood loss assisting too early.

Oh no dont help!! A bird has to absolutely hatch itself to survive. Its a phenomenon that if they dont come out on their own, they'll die. Trust me when I say if you attempt to help it from the shell, it will die. Its a tiring process and does take some time. Some are quicker than others. Resist the temptation to go in the incubator a thousand times.

There should be a rule that folks with this low of post count shouldn't be able to give this kind of advice...
smack.gif

As a rule I don't like to assist, but I will if necessary, but only as a last resort.... There are some really good articles here about how and when to help

HELP! my chick pipped a small hole but it's not getting bigger! I can hear faint cheeps someone's. Is it sick? I thinks it's been 19 hours since its pipped I THINK I don't know what day its on. Will it die??!

Back
Top Bottom