Plans for Nesting Boxes

zekii

Songster
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
New Hampsha
Hello,
We are looking for some plans for indoor nesting boxes for our new coop, not accessible from the outside.
6 boxes, 3 over 3

Send me any pictures or plans you may have....
thanks very much !!!

Happy New Year !!
celebrate.gif

19887_img_0745.jpg

Grey plastic garage storage bins from Lowes, about $8 each. Not free, but I didn't have luck with buckets or milk crates. And the materials and time to build boxes would cost more than $8 each.

I have four nests for 23 hens, about 15 eggs per day at this time of year. Bunches of them tend to use the same nest boxes every day. One nest gets about 8 eggs/day. Another nest only gets 2 eggs/day. And one of the other nests is often occupied by the perennially broody resident silkie! So no one gets to lay an egg there...

Quote:
34643_100_0143.jpg

34643_100_0123.jpg

As you can see, I just used 12 x 12 x 3"deep plastic boxes. Easy to clean. I just use grass clippings for litter and for nests. Free and smells good.
cool.png

Here's some pics of DH making our side-by-side nesting boxes. I'm sure it could be easily modified to make a duplex. (Sorry I seem to be missing the finished photo. If you want I can try to take one this weekend.) Of course, a goat helper is needed to build anything.
tongue.png

Here are my nesting boxes. I started with a 14" wide piece of plywood and cut an angle from 17 inches to 14 inches. These became the sides of the boxes. I used 2x4s that I ripped to 1.75" (basically homemade 2x2s) to strengthen the sides for attaching to the coop and bottom. The "shingles" are flooring samples over plywood.

Quote:
Very nice basic design ... Does anyone line their nest boxes with linoleum/vinyl flooring or use plastic tubs ?

old.gif

Back
Top Bottom