Plastic Tote Brooder

SisterFlash

Songster
12 Years
Oct 13, 2007
SW Mountains New Mexico
What size...I assume as large as possble
Do any of you remember what size you got?

Just also wonderng with the large size clear how many chicks it will hold?
How long will it last 2 weeks, 3 weeks?

thanks
Barb
wink.png

I made my brooder out of the largest rubbermaid container I could find. It measures approx 4 ft long by 2.5 feet across and 2.5 feet high. I've got my 10 silkies in there now - they are 10 days old and have plenty of room. Also, it is VERY easy to clean - the container is nice and slick on the inside, so nothing really sticks. Plus you can disinfect it very easily, and the hardware cloth keeps the pine shavings INSIDE and not all over the house. With the lid on, I don't have to worry about escapees OR my dogs getting too interested in the chicks.

Total cost of the brooder less than $30 - a lot cheaper than a dog crate or other bought cage. The container was about $18 at Lowes. The washers were $6 and about $4 for the bolts.

I then took a very sharp utility knife and cut rectangular openings in one side and in the top. I like the chicks to be able to see out and not think the world is 4 solid walls. PLUS I worry about adequate ventiliation with a plastic container on all 4 sides. This way the air can flow freely up and out the top as the air warms, bringing in air through the side opening.

I drilled approprite sized holes around the openings I cut, and used fender washers and 3/4" nuts and bolts to secure 1/2" hardware cloth to the openings.

It is working great! I just set the brooder light on top of the lid on the open area and the temps have stayed nice and warm. I am using an 85wt small sized red floodlight in the brooder lamp. The brooder is in my house which is around 70 deg. constantly. The regular heat lamp (250wt) was WAY too hot - it threatened to melt the rubbermad container and was over 110 degrees in just a min.

Anyway, here's a pic. Also in my signature line below is a link to my chickNcam and you can see the brooder from the inside view.

DSCF1094-1.jpg

Thanks for posting the question Barb. I'm thinking of using this same thing as a brooder this spring and will eagerly be waiting for the answers!

i don't remember how many gallons mine was, but it measured just under 2x3... my four peeps lived in it for about 3 weeks. they probably could've gone a little longer, but they were starting to get a little rambunctious in there so i upgraded them to my giant vari-kennel (HUGE dog crate). they're still in there (8weeks old on monday), and will be getting moved outside in another couple of weeks (if i can stand a couple more weeks of cleaning out water/sweeping up pine shavings/chasing them around with sani-wipes when they're "free ranging" in the house to clean up the poops 5,000 times a day....).

Quote:
You just reminded me we still have a huge folding metal pen thing that we used when we took our Australian Shepherd to Agility events! It's really tall and it will be easy to put a top on it too. Oh, I'm getting really psyched now!

henrietta - that would work! just put cardboard or something around the sides to prevent drafts. have you checked out the brooder pics thread? lots of variations there, and you'll get good ideas!

arlee - i REALLY wish i'd thought of cutting out the side of my brooder! duh!
smile.png
'course, the dogs love peering in at the peeps and it might've been scarier having 2 big german shepherd heads staring in at them from the side AND top! my largest shep can't wait for the peeps to be done with his house!!!

big_smile.png

lol. i just made my outside dog a dog house out of one of those tonight. turned it upside down with lid on, put pillow in and cut hole for door. can't believe here you guys are doing same thing.
smile.png

I use a big container like Susan's. I buy the clear ones and DH made a wire top. We have a light that has a clamp at the end, so I clamp it on one side. We have 4 or 5 of them because I also use them for broodies hatching out eggs and for injured/sick birds.

My Daisy Doggie loves to watch 'chick TV'. She will sit there for HOURS just watching and wishing.... Sometimes you can see her shadow on the web cam if you look by the wire side you can JUST barely see to the right hand side of the image.

DSCF1161.jpg

Back
Top Bottom