platinum and silver coturnix quails

this is my female quail is it a blue or a silver?

I see a lot of folks selling quail on kijiji, silver. You may have great luck with selling & finding other silver breeders. You could also try the BYC buy/sell here but it's mostly chickens/-related stuffs.

I hope this thread is not dead or at least can be resurrected especially now that Silvers are in the States legally, thanks to JMF. I am looking for direction when breeding Silvers. I will be getting some eggs from JMF in a few weeks. I am reading that the Silver gene is a dominant gene but fatal when paired together. Much like the Golden gene. I always keep a Pharaoh type over my Golden hens, or vice versa. Of course I am hoping for a good hatch and hope to have several silver birds to work with. (wouldn't that be nice
smile.png
) However I have been curious on how to reproduce the Silver coloration moving forward after hatch. How to create breeding pens from what I get. I was told to Cull the whites that hatch as they would be recessive throw backs.

Thank you in advance for any information and experiences you can share.

I have just hatched a batch of silvers and i notice that some have health issues .... from a sort of infection in there eyes to equilibrium problems ... but only on some ... others appear 100% healthy and look just amazing.

I have now had several Silver Hatches. Silver over Silver is currently my least favorite combination. Their are health issues associated with the Silver over Silver breeding. I've gotten very low fertility, eye issues (bulging eyes), early and even late death from my test with a Silver over Silver pen. However with that said my Silver over any other color is producing amazing babies. 50% are showing silver color and they are very robust.

Here are some pictures of my Silvers.

Good luck with your Silver Babies!!!
We just love ours.

Back
Top Bottom