Please Advise Expanding/Winterizing Coop/Run

MELTH87

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2022
Watertown, New York
Some of our hens keep wanting to “escape” we live in a residential neighborhood so freerange isn’t a solid option especially since not all of our neighbors enjoy the flock as much as much as we do, lol 😂. Hence in preparation for winter and hopes they just are asking for a larger run. My husband wants to install pressure treated 4”x4” at each corner a fix 2”x4” … plus all the fixings rent a bobcat to dig the holes, my alternative is a post hole digger with cement then cover in chicken wire. Cost analysis without the Bobcat is around $300. Plus actually getting him to do the above is a completely different challenge. I live in Watertown, NY about 20 minutes from Canada the winters are brutal it has to warm up to snow so I want our girls as prepared as possible, also we’ve already had a coyote in our driveway caught by camera. My thought is the option below figured it’s something I could do alone relatively easily and would help against predators and those dang squirrels that love eating their food. Thank you all for your help ☺️

Attachments

• 644DC3D3-36CC-490B-B0B8-6BABB294A2F4.png
    644DC3D3-36CC-490B-B0B8-6BABB294A2F4.png
    954.5 KB · Views: 2
Some of our hens keep wanting to “escape” we live in a residential neighborhood so freerange isn’t a solid option especially since not all of our neighbors enjoy the flock as much as much as we do, lol 😂. Hence in preparation for winter and hopes they just are asking for a larger run. My husband wants to install pressure treated 4”x4” at each corner a fix 2”x4” … plus all the fixings rent a bobcat to dig the holes, my alternative is a post hole digger with cement then cover in chicken wire. Cost analysis without the Bobcat is around $300. Plus actually getting him to do the above is a completely different challenge. I live in Watertown, NY about 20 minutes from Canada the winters are brutal it has to warm up to snow so I want our girls as prepared as possible, also we’ve already had a coyote in our driveway caught by camera. My thought is the option below figured it’s something I could do alone relatively easily and would help against predators and those dang squirrels that love eating their food. Thank you all for your help ☺️

Welcome to BYC. I'm a southerner so I can't say what works, but I can report that some people have had those prefab runs collapse under snow loads.

Here's a helpful article on chickens and winter: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

It won't hold up to snow load unless adequate framing is added to the roof.
Even without adding a solid roof, which I would think you'd want.
Chicken wire is not predator proof.

I live in Watertown, NY
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1666964387643.png

cover in chicken wire.
Chicken wire will keep chickens in, but usually will not keep predators out.

Some of our hens keep wanting to “escape” we live in a residential neighborhood so freerange isn’t a solid option especially since not all of our neighbors enjoy the flock as much as much as we do
To fix this problem (escaping hens), chicken wire might work well.

we’ve already had a coyote in our driveway caught by camera.
A coyote can probably rip a hole through the chicken wire and get your hens anyway, so I would recommend you use something stronger. For coyotes, I would suggest either hardware cloth with 1/2" openings (about 1 cm), or a stronger wire mesh that has 2" by 4" openings (maybe 5 cm by 10 cm).

those dang squirrels that love eating their food.
Chicken wire might keep squirrels out. Hardware cloth will work better. The larger wire that I mentioned against coyotes will let squirrels go through easily.

Given that you want to deal with chickens, coyotes, and squirrels, I would suggest hardware cloth with 1/2" holes (about 1 cm). Make sure to attach it well to the wood frame: you can use staples that get hammered in (stronger than what a staple gun does), or screws with large washers on them, or use an extra board in each place so the hardware cloth is sandwiched between two boards and screws run through all the layers to hold it there.

Chicken wire will keep chickens in, but usually will not keep predators out.

To fix this problem (escaping hens), chicken wire might work well.

A coyote can probably rip a hole through the chicken wire and get your hens anyway, so I would recommend you use something stronger. For coyotes, I would suggest either hardware cloth with 1/2" openings (about 1 cm), or a stronger wire mesh that has 2" by 4" openings (maybe 5 cm by 10 cm).

Chicken wire might keep squirrels out. Hardware cloth will work better. The larger wire that I mentioned against coyotes will let squirrels go through easily.

Given that you want to deal with chickens, coyotes, and squirrels, I would suggest hardware cloth with 1/2" holes (about 1 cm). Make sure to attach it well to the wood frame: you can use staples that get hammered in (stronger than what a staple gun does), or screws with large washers on them, or use an extra board in each place so the hardware cloth is sandwiched between two boards and screws run through all the layers to hold it there.
I have the same "kennel" style run as the OP shows to keep my new chicks in before the go into the area with the adults, and I agree 100% with your post. Hardware cloth is really the only way to make these "predator proof". Quotes are because a bear, and we have several on our land, wants in, they are getting in.

This type run is also very easy to get under, even my cats can do it, so you would need to secure the bottom somehow.

As @aart said, you will also need to build a structure to support the snow load.

All that said, I gave up on the idea of winterizing mine. It will remain for summer and daytime use only for young birds.

Back
Top Bottom