Please give me your opinion

We just bought a house and it has a large chicken coop. My question is how do I prep and clean it to make sure that any birds I introduce into wont get sick, because I dont know how long its been sitting empty. ( longer than a year for sure)
It has a dirt/ sand floor.
I know clear the weeds and check the fencing. Thats a no brainer. It has a hot wire on it too. We have predators.
My concern is disease.
Welcome to BYC @Ramims !

It's really best to start a new thread.

You're probably thinking by now that everyone here is 'piling on', but as said by Flyin-Lowe, there are many people (I'm certainly not one of them) that have a lot of experience raising chickens and want to help.

We bought a pre-fab coop the same day we bought our chicks. It was advertised to house 6 chickens. We brought home 6 chicks. As those tiny chicks grew and grew, it quickly became apparent that the coop wasn't going to work. We live in the Midwest with snow, rain, cold, heat and predators. After putting in 6 full grown chicken, a feeder, a waterer and a dust bath area there was no space for movement. We sold it on Craigslist, unused, to someone raising Silikes.

Here is was... cute but not practical.

So we quickly got to work repurposing an existing (dog) shed as a coop and adding on a run. The shed is 8' x 18' (8' x 9' is used for the chickens, the other half for storage). 8' x 9' = 72 sf With 6 chickens that is 12 sf/per bird. The covered run is 8' x 16' = 128sf. With 6 chickens that is 21sf/per bird. Even with that space and considering our climate, I wouldn't add more that 2 chickens to the setup. We can't free range due to predators, so that is their living space.

Chickens need space and good ventilation to thrive, that small coop isn't going to provide either for that many birds.

My. Older chickens were inside 1 or two days this winter. I am planning on letting them free range as they get older. My option is that if they just sleep in there, then they can have a smaller coop.

My. Older chickens were inside 1 or two days this winter. I am planning on letting them free range as they get older. My option is that if they just sleep in there, then they can have a smaller coop.

5 full size hens in there, you are asking for trouble. Too small, and not enough ventilation. You may get away with it during the warmer months, but in the winter, if you get a bunch of snow, that's when the trouble will come. Usually, when there is deep snow on the ground, the birds may spend much more, maybe all, of their time in the coop. In a small coop like that, they will pick and tear at each other. And with the insufficient ventilation, humidity will be high, and frostbite and possible (More than likely) respiratory problems will show up. As others have posted, go bigger.

Agreed.

"Smaller" is relative though.

And this coop is battery cage size.

You do you what you want. They're your chickens, but don't expect the seal of approval from the community here. You're pushing the envelope of sound management.

Back
Top Bottom