Please help a newbie - no idea of breed or sex

DunedinChicks

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Dunedin, New Zealand
Hi folks.

We got 2 Australorp (or we think they are Australorp) hens and a little cream hen with caramel flecks about a year ago. Little cream hen sadly passed away in January and our biggest Australorp girl then got broody. We got a dozen fertile eggs from a friend of a friend and our broody girl hatched out 6 of these. The chicks are coming up to 5 weeks old and I've been trying to figure out a) possible breed(s) and b) possible sex(es). I'm leaning towards the solitary little black one being a cockerel as it is the most outgoing and has the greatest comb/wattle development though this might be down to it being the first to hatch. Any help/advice would be most appreciated.

I am not sure about breeds...the first one looks like a black breasted red something but they all look an awful lot like cockerels. I am seeing a lot of awfully red combs.
hide.gif

Three have quite prominent combs - little black one and two speckled/spotty ones. The little black one is very red, the other 2 less so to varying degrees. When do spurs start to form anyway? (I stupidly thought they'd have rudimentary ones straight out the egg!!!)

Yes, so they said earlier. However, last small photo of 3 on the step has surrogate mum in it (top left - in the middle of moulting). The only hen I am "sure" of is the little white one in the background in the cat picture. They're about 10 weeks old now, possibly a bit older.

Back
Top Bottom