PLEASE Help- Chicken Gasping and Wheezing!!!

Scrubs32782

Chirping
Jan 10, 2023
One of my chickens, Erica Eggstrada, is very sick. I just noticed this behavior this morning when I went to let the girls out. She didn’t want to move out of the coop. I knew something was wrong, because she always runs up and wants to be petted. If anyone can identity from the video. Please let me know!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) 1 1/2 year old Golden Comet. She definitely looks/feels lighter
2) What is the behavior, exactly: She is non stop gasping every 2-3 seconds, stretching her neck upwards. Very light wheeze.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Just noticed this behavior today.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? All of the rest of the flock seems to be happy and healthy
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma:No signs of trauma
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: Unknown
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Her rear end did appear to have a little runny poop, but nothing extreme at all
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I’ve isolated her and administered an electrolyte solution. Placed healthy snacks in her enclosure.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to treat myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I made a video:
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
Two interconnected coops attached to a 10x10 run. Straw on floor and bedding.

I’ve continued to give her electrolytes via a cut straw. She does seem to lap it up every drop along her beak. Still worried for her, and I don’t want to give her anything until someone can give me a decent idea or opinion.

One of my chickens, Erica Eggstrada, is very sick. I just noticed this behavior this morning when I went to let the girls out. She didn’t want to move out of the coop. I knew something was wrong, because she always runs up and wants to be petted. If anyone can identity from the video. Please let me know!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) 1 1/2 year old Golden Comet. She definitely looks/feels lighter
2) What is the behavior, exactly: She is non stop gasping every 2-3 seconds, stretching her neck upwards. Very light wheeze.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Just noticed this behavior today.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? All of the rest of the flock seems to be happy and healthy
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma:No signs of trauma
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: Unknown
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Her rear end did appear to have a little runny poop, but nothing extreme at all
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I’ve isolated her and administered an electrolyte solution. Placed healthy snacks in her enclosure.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to treat myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I made a video:
I have a hen doing the exact same thing. Did you get any answers?

Any sneezing?

No she didn't sneeze. Thanks for replying. I treated her with VetRx and Tamlosin in water for 4 days as well as giving her solid pieces of coconut oil. She was better the next morning but waited several days to return her to the coop and her friends. Not sure what the problem was. None of the other hens showed any symptoms.

No she didn't sneeze. Thanks for replying. I treated her with VetRx and Tamlosin in water for 4 days as well as giving her solid pieces of coconut oil. She was better the next morning but waited several days to return her to the coop and her friends. Not sure what the problem was. None of the other hens showed any symptoms.
Check out mycoplasma. I am dealing with either that or a respiratory infection. That particular disease is not curable but treatable. Just in case it comes back I want to help you prepare.

Check out mycoplasma. I am dealing with either that or a respiratory infection. That particular disease is not curable but treatable. Just in case it comes back I want to help you prepare.
Also it is contagious and lays dormant so you may not notice symptoms until crisis hits

Back
Top Bottom