Please help! Chicken wound from dog :(

Rose made it through the night and is eating! :)

Obviously it is really good to see her up and on her feet as well as having an appetite and the ability to feed herself. It is so sweet to see Hank guarding your injured Rose. You'll want to change out the padding in her box if it gets too poopy, you don't want her to have to lay in a mess. Other than that Tamaraly I think that Rose as a very good chance of making a full recovery.

Thanks!! I sure hope so! Yep, I changed her pads after she ate...was waiting for her to go to the bathroom one more time. Of course she waited til I changed them to do so. Haha Also,I'm wondering if I can put a perch in there for her...is it too soon for her to hop up to perch? Do they know their limits or do we just monitor and use our judgement?

Thanks!! I sure hope so! Yep, I changed her pads after she ate...was waiting for her to go to the bathroom one more time. Of course she waited til I changed them to do so. Haha Also,I'm wondering if I can put a perch in there for her...is it too soon for her to hop up to perch? Do they know their limits or do we just monitor and use our judgement?

You are more than welcome. Anything I can do to help, I will. She may 'feel' well enough but not be ready. In my experience injured chickens on the mend try to behave as though they are fully recovered. Showing weakness or being unable to keep up with the other birds is a sure fire way to lose ones place in the pecking order after all. If she is not totally sturdy on her feet I would not put a perch in there right away. If she appears to have full control over her movements and has no leg injuries than I would say a perch is okay. In either case, continue to monitor her progress.

Ok. Thanks! Thanks for all your help, I wouldn't be able to do this without your tips and support. So nice of you. With everything I've learned, I hope to be the person to help someone in my position some day. I love this site and the people here. Everyone is so kind and helpful, I can't thank you enough for all the support you've given me. I really thought there was no hope. I'll continue to monitor and give updates.
She just tried jumping out of her room, I put the lid on and now she's standing in front of the door looking at me like she's trying to come up with a way to get out. Hahaha

Doesn't have to be a high perch. I use several sizes of scrap wood placed stairstep fashion so bird can get six inches off the ground. They seem happier than just on ground.:rolleyes::/

Ok. Thanks! Thanks for all your help, I wouldn't be able to do this without your tips and support. So nice of you. With everything I've learned, I hope to be the person to help someone in my position some day. I love this site and the people here. Everyone is so kind and helpful, I can't thank you enough for all the support you've given me. I really thought there was no hope. I'll continue to monitor and give updates.
She just tried jumping out of her room, I put the lid on and now she's standing in front of the door looking at me like she's trying to come up with a way to get out. Hahaha

I do appreciate al your praise. I was like you not that long ago, in fact I had the neighborhood dogs get into my yard not once but twice only to attack the very same pullet again. This is her as of two weeks ago. Her tail leans a bit to the starboard side now but other than that she is fully recovered. It is truly a testament to these creatures and their will to live.

Your Rose did all the real work here and if she is trying to escape captivity then she is certainly feeling more like her normal self. I think you've done all the right things here and as long as her injuries heal without infection this cute chicken of yours is destined to rejoin the flock in the next week. Do feel free to allow limited and supervised time out of the room if she continues to tell you she wants her freedom. Maybe let her see the other chickens but keep them separated if you can manage that. It will remind her compatriots that she is still with them and a part of the flock as well as reassure your Rose that everything is returning to normal which should improve her stress levels. The folks here at BYC are really great and I cant take much of the credit for that but if you have questions or concerns about chickens we are eager to help. Every one of us shares a passion for these amazing creatures without whom our own species would not survive.

Last edited:
Awww! She looks as good as new!! Her and Rose have something in common...2 attacks. They picked the toughest of our bunch! Ive been hanging onto the fact that yoyr survived 2 attacks since ypu 1st told me, now seeing how awesome shes doing gives me even more hope! Thank ypu for the pic! I actually let her out, she's wondering around the kitchen...found a mirror we have set on the floor and has been pecking at her reflection. Her personality is back and everything! However, I had to clean poo off her rear-end and it appears that her intestines are sticking out a little. I can't tell if it is her intestines or not because she's blue. I'm calling the vet now that I'm on my lunch break (I work from home, thankfully).

Awww! She looks as good as new!! Her and Rose have something in common...2 attacks. They picked the toughest of our bunch! Ive been hanging onto the fact that yoyr survived 2 attacks since ypu 1st told me, now seeing how awesome shes doing gives me even more hope! Thank ypu for the pic! I actually let her out, she's wondering around the kitchen...found a mirror we have set on the floor and has been pecking at her reflection. Her personality is back and everything! However, I had to clean poo off her rear-end and it appears that her intestines are sticking out a little. I can't tell if it is her intestines or not because she's blue. I'm calling the vet now that I'm on my lunch break (I work from home, thankfully).

I am gratified to hear she is acting like her old self. I absolutely would call a vet, preferably one that specializes in livestock or birds. I assume when you say her intestines are sticking out that it appears her vent is slightly prolapsed. Here is a helpful series of posts if my interpretation of her symptom is correct. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1098459/prolapsed-vent

Do not ignore this issue it could become a serious problem for her. Read through the WHOLE article and the additional links as well before treating her though. Knowledge is the key to avoiding hurting her out of ignorance. There is nothing worse than having to stick your finger up a chickens butt except for injuring a chicken while trying to stick your finger up there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom