Please help! Chicken wound from dog :(

tamaraly81

Chirping
5 Years
May 12, 2014
United States
Please help. One of my girls got attacked by a dog. :( The wound is pretty bad and I don't know what to do. No emergency vet can help me. I've cleaned the wound with hydrogen peroxide and sprayed bacitracin on it with the hopes that it would numb it a little. She's in the house in a dog kennel with food, her favorite berries and water with a tsp of apple cider vinegar. I just want someone to help me fix her and tell me she's going to be ok. Fall of 2014 she got attacked by chicken hawk with pretty deep wounds that I cleaned 3 times a day until new skin grew over and she healed up
nicely but this is really bad. :( Her "mohawk" is kinda blue on the back, never seen them not red..is that due to stress or pain? Also, is there anything we can get her for pain? She's quiet, alert,eating and drinking. Now she just started pecking at it. :( Ok. I think I covered everything going, sorry for the graphic photo.

I did it with my Myrtle and she acted just fine. If you are really scared about it, you could give them halves or a quarter of a tablet. My friend who also has chickens does the same. If you want, you could look at TSC for some Chicken Antibiotics, but they don't treat pain.

Thank you. We gave her a betadine bath, poured warm betadine water mixture over her wounds (approximately 15-20 rinses). My mom came over and did the rinsing of the wounds while I held her wings down. She's currently in a tote with a heat lamp over her while she dries. Next and probably not my final question is...I picked up some blue kote and wondering when would be best to apply on her wounds? Now or after she dries? This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, just picking her up I was worried about hurting her. I can't even look at her wounds they're so bad. I don't understand how a bird can survive such an attack. I keep thinking to myself how badly I would be hurting if I was skinned. This is awful. I just want her to make it.

Sorry for the delay. I think so far you are doing really well with the care. Best to use the Kote once she is dry. Trust me when I say that a well bred bird can survive aweful injuries. I had on of my Jersey Giants survive being attacked by a dog TWICE. She is a real trooper. The first 24 hours are the worst. If she is doing alright in the morning then you are nearly out of the woods. Keep me posted.

Any service I can do you and your lovely birds is my honor to perform. I understand your desire to keep your innocent birds from harm but one day illness or injury will come for you again. When that day comes, this will have made you stronger and better able to care for your charges. They know very well how much you care for them and if they are anything like my chickens, have dozens of ways to express their own gratitude for the hard work you put into their prosperity. That is such a great shot of Rose looking out the window. She looks alert and a lot better than just a few days ago. I am a sucker for happy endings and I think for Rose, as roughed up as she was, will make a full recovery. Don't be a stranger. We'd all like to see her again as her situation improves. Best Wishes.

Any service I can do you and your lovely birds is my honor to perform. I understand your desire to keep your innocent birds from harm but one day illness or injury will come for you again. When that day comes, this will have made you stronger and better able to care for your charges. They know very well how much you care for them and if they are anything like my chickens, have dozens of ways to express their own gratitude for the hard work you put into their prosperity. That is such a great shot of Rose looking out the window. She looks alert and a lot better than just a few days ago. I am a sucker for happy endings and I think for Rose, as roughed up as she was, will make a full recovery. Don't be a stranger. We'd all like to see her again as her situation improves. Best Wishes.
Your right about illness or injury, sometimes even death. But like you said, it makes us better able to deal with these things when they happen. Rose looks happy to be going home doesnt she? What a doll.

Awwww! Thanks! ♡ Very true! I'm going to remember to say that the next time someone says "Tam, it's just a chicken". These girls are my heart and yard. Life would be boring without their silly personalities running around the yard. :)

Inspiring as I am currently devastated having to deal with wounded chickens as I type this. It happened early this morning and I am still numb.....don't even know the extent. I confirmed dead, 4 injured but up and moving, 3 MIA  and 5 in total shock.  I feel so guilty for not protecting them better.

Ooooh. I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope this thread is able to help you. If you have questions/advice...you picked a good thread. :) I hope your day gets better and you're able to heal the wounded girls. I've learned wounded chickens are stronger than we think, don't give up hope! The girl this thread is about healed 100% and half her rump was gone. Hugs and good luck. Don't blame yourself, we can't protect them 100% from the wild.

PLEASE DO NOT USE HUMAN PAINKILLERS ON CHICKENS, you can overdose them. Nothing with painkillers in it. I cant stress that enough. If you know how to keep her wounds clean that is a plus, do that. She may very well keep pecking at the wound, that is a behavior chickens do instinctually and you will likely need to cover it so she cannot see anything red and raw back there. If there are no deep punctures she stands a reasonable chance of recovery as long as she has full range of motion with her neck and has no serious (broken) legs. As to having a blue looking comb, I am not sure about that as a symptom but close observation is necessary to spot any trouble developing or any changes in her status.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom