Please help! Chicken wound from dog :(

Ok. So how would be the best way to do that, clean with warm water? And how often? I dont want to frighten her and have her flap her wings. What I gathered from that article is to keep a wound wrapped to heal (I don't know what to do about that, I have gauze and I don't know where to start) and no antibiotic ointment or peroxide. I'm going to try and get her to a vet tomorrow if there's one willing to help her. I let her rest all afternoon and I'm getting ready to take care of her wounds now that I have a list of what not to do. Thank you so much for all your help, it's much appreciated.
You are very welcome. The easiest issue to address I will do first. The bandaging. Gauss is perfectly acceptable if it is medical grade. You can use medical tape common in first aid kits to secure the bandage over the wound. It may take some creative wrapping on your part to get the coverage just right but what is important is that she cannot see or reach any open wounds to peck at. She just needs a few days of mending so the bandage doesn't need to be perfect, just changed every day. The vet can probably make suggestions on an ointment to acquire that is just right but do not expect that they will want to treat her. Bird physiology is not the same thing they studied for almost certain of that and they tend to charge more for an hour of labor than 5 chickens are worth so they don't tend to take on chickens but there is no harm in trying. As for cleaning the wound you can try submerging the raw parts of her rear in a warm bath and gently pouring the water over the area but you would really want an extra pair of hands to do this because you do not want her to thrash around and do more harm to herself. A visual inspection to make sure the wounds have no debris or dirt on/in them should be sufficient, don't scrub her. If you cant get some bit of dirt or grit off with the pouring of water, a steady hand and a pair of tweezers to extract the foreign particle would do. Ask more questions if you have them.

Thank you. We gave her a betadine bath, poured warm betadine water mixture over her wounds (approximately 15-20 rinses). My mom came over and did the rinsing of the wounds while I held her wings down. She's currently in a tote with a heat lamp over her while she dries. Next and probably not my final question is...I picked up some blue kote and wondering when would be best to apply on her wounds? Now or after she dries? This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, just picking her up I was worried about hurting her. I can't even look at her wounds they're so bad. I don't understand how a bird can survive such an attack. I keep thinking to myself how badly I would be hurting if I was skinned. This is awful. I just want her to make it.

Oops, I used the wrong thing to reply...sorry if you get this twice. It's ok, I waited to apply the blu kote. Mom just got back to do that and I'm worried it's going to sting, is it going to hurt her?

Oops, I used the wrong thing to reply...sorry if you get this twice. It's ok, I waited to apply the blu kote. Mom just got back to do that and I'm worried it's going to sting, is it going to hurt her?

Blu kote is applied..Mom told me to put "my big girl pants on" and sprayed away. She's in the dining room in her makeshift healing house with her "mother hen" (our 8 year old border collie mix, Hank. I swear he thinks these girls are his children ) and I'm sleeping on the couch to keep an eye on her. Here's to a good night! I'll give you an update in the morning. Tha ks again!

Last edited:
Blu kote is applied..Mom told me to put "my big girl pants on" and sprayed away. She's in the dining room in her makeshift healing house with her "mother hen" (our 8 year old border collie mix, Hank. I swear he thinks these girls are his children ) and I'm sleeping on the couch to keep an eye on her. Here's to a good night! I'll give you an update in the morning. Tha ks again!
I am so glad your mom was able to offer you the encouragement to do what needed to be done. Border collies, being a flock guardian breed are naturally protective and do see their wee charges as adopted children. I have a good feeling about your injured ward. Rest easy.

Rose made it through the night and is eating! :)

Obviously it is really good to see her up and on her feet as well as having an appetite and the ability to feed herself. It is so sweet to see Hank guarding your injured Rose. You'll want to change out the padding in her box if it gets too poopy, you don't want her to have to lay in a mess. Other than that Tamaraly I think that Rose as a very good chance of making a full recovery.

Thanks!! I sure hope so! Yep, I changed her pads after she ate...was waiting for her to go to the bathroom one more time. Of course she waited til I changed them to do so. Haha Also,I'm wondering if I can put a perch in there for her...is it too soon for her to hop up to perch? Do they know their limits or do we just monitor and use our judgement?

Thanks!! I sure hope so! Yep, I changed her pads after she ate...was waiting for her to go to the bathroom one more time. Of course she waited til I changed them to do so. Haha Also,I'm wondering if I can put a perch in there for her...is it too soon for her to hop up to perch? Do they know their limits or do we just monitor and use our judgement?

You are more than welcome. Anything I can do to help, I will. She may 'feel' well enough but not be ready. In my experience injured chickens on the mend try to behave as though they are fully recovered. Showing weakness or being unable to keep up with the other birds is a sure fire way to lose ones place in the pecking order after all. If she is not totally sturdy on her feet I would not put a perch in there right away. If she appears to have full control over her movements and has no leg injuries than I would say a perch is okay. In either case, continue to monitor her progress.

Ok. Thanks! Thanks for all your help, I wouldn't be able to do this without your tips and support. So nice of you. With everything I've learned, I hope to be the person to help someone in my position some day. I love this site and the people here. Everyone is so kind and helpful, I can't thank you enough for all the support you've given me. I really thought there was no hope. I'll continue to monitor and give updates.
She just tried jumping out of her room, I put the lid on and now she's standing in front of the door looking at me like she's trying to come up with a way to get out. Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom