Please help! Chicken wound from dog :(

I was just thinking about you and Rose earlier! Happy to hear Rose is getting back to her normal self and just want to say she is a very lucky girl to have you :) I have been fortunate to have not dealt with such an injury but if I ever find myself in that situation I will remember you both and not give up hope until all hope is gone. Best wishes!

I was just thinking about you and Rose earlier! Happy to hear Rose is getting back to her normal self and just want to say she is a very lucky girl to have you :) I have been fortunate to have not dealt with such an injury but if I ever find myself in that situation I will remember you both and not give up hope until all hope is gone. Best wishes!

Thanks! Yeah, that was a bad one and I honestly thought she wasn't going to make it. These birds are alot tougher than I thought!;)

Thanks! Yeah, that was a bad one and I honestly thought she wasn't going to make it. These birds are alot tougher than I thought!;)
when a bird wants to live as much as dear Rose it is so demonstrative of the willpower and resilience of a well bred chicken. Every chicken lover should be so lucky to have such a great flock and every chicken deserves to have the love and care that tamaraly has for her flock.

when a bird wants to live as much as dear Rose it is so demonstrative of the willpower and resilience of a well bred chicken. Every chicken lover should be so lucky to have such a great flock and every chicken deserves to have the love and care that tamaraly has for her flock.

Aww!Yes I strongly believe in the willpower of chickens after this. I don't know if any of the other girls would have survived such trauma. Speaking of our tough chickie... I went to get Rose out of her outdoor infirmary last night...a little after dark and she wasn't in there. I frantically ran around the yard looking for her, worried that something happened to her again. Well I checked the hen house and there she was...snuggled in between the other 2 Baird rocks. ♡

Aww!Yes I strongly believe in the willpower of chickens after this. I don't know if any of the other girls would have survived such trauma. Speaking of our tough chickie... I went to get Rose out of her outdoor infirmary last night...a little after dark and she wasn't in there. I frantically ran around the yard looking for her, worried that something happened to her again. Well I checked the hen house and there she was...snuggled in between the other 2 Baird rocks. ♡
lol she is irrepressible. Clearly ready to return to active duty in her mind. I am happy to see she is doing so well.
2764.png

Inspiring as I am currently devastated having to deal with wounded chickens as I type this. It happened early this morning and I am still numb.....don't even know the extent. I confirmed dead, 4 injured but up and moving, 3 MIA and 5 in total shock. I feel so guilty for not protecting them better.

Inspiring as I am currently devastated having to deal with wounded chickens as I type this. It happened early this morning and I am still numb.....don't even know the extent. I confirmed dead, 4 injured but up and moving, 3 MIA  and 5 in total shock.  I feel so guilty for not protecting them better.

Ooooh. I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope this thread is able to help you. If you have questions/advice...you picked a good thread. :) I hope your day gets better and you're able to heal the wounded girls. I've learned wounded chickens are stronger than we think, don't give up hope! The girl this thread is about healed 100% and half her rump was gone. Hugs and good luck. Don't blame yourself, we can't protect them 100% from the wild.

I am almost immobilized by the event. To make matters worst, i know one of my dogs were involved as I caught her in the yard but I honestly do not believe she instigated it....especially with 2 birds still missing. Her doings were left evident per normal "dog as predator behavior". My current dalemia is getting the injured ones isolated to treat wounds. They are still with flock and have some very unlikely members "protecting" them. I don't want to traumatize them more by "capturing" them but feel I need to!!

You could wait untodark to move them but if injuries are serious act now. The stress is a small price to pay now if you can avoid infection later.

Back
Top Bottom