Please help!! - Customized feed

Thanks. I'm going to get my list of questions and hope he's in a good mood when I call. Is Hubbard thinking of making a peafowl ration available?

The climate temperatures in your area ave very much the same as ours here.
Do you have much rain fall? we have been having rain almost weekly and bi weekly the last year but had been in a drought for years here and we have also had more wind than i have ever seen in my 56 years of life unless a hurricane is here.

Hi Flockmaster:) Yes I have been to houston and it seemed (though I might be wrong) that the climate it similar to what we have here.

No we dont get much rain unfortunately.

Trefoil and Frenchblackcopper- how will the weather here affect the diet I will be giving. Please take a look at the link in my previous post for an year round climate summary (we have very short mild winters, scorching summers, not much humidity. Do take a look at the link though)

Last edited:
I wouldn't think you would not need as much energy or fat in your diet. We supplement it here during our winter months but the temperatures here often are highs in the 20's (F) and sometimes much lower.Corn produces a lot of energy but is low in protein levels. I'm amazed your climate most of the year is tropical but your monsoon rainfall amounts for 3 months are off the charts high. With your climate I'd say a 14% ration would be fine when not breeding but then spike protein to around 20% a few weeks before breeding begins. I keep my protein around 16% right after breeding and all thru until the next breeding season. Get and keep the birds in top condition after breeding season. Your hens may need some calcium to build up what they may have lost from egg laying,,and the breeding males will be growing new trains. Basic trace vitamins and minerals should be given all year long. When studying feed composition many ingredients are needed to allow other ingredients to be able to be metabolozed. If you study all amino acids,they are all different kinds of proteins which are used to create muscle mass. Ten of these acids are essential in poultry,some the bird can change for it to be useful in their diet and others they cannot.

@Southshore

Do I correctly understand that you were trying the diet that @frenchblackcopper and the others helped you work out, but the peas did not want to eat it?

Tell us what happened.

Yes I was. I was using the formula frenchblackcopper posted earlier in which you subtract diagonally. I couldn't find any soyabean meal or kelp. I was used fishmeal, oats, millet, sunflower seeds and sorghum and prepared approximately a 10 kg mix since I only have four peas.

Yes I was. I was using the formula frenchblackcopper posted earlier in which you subtract diagonally. I couldn't find any soyabean meal or kelp. I was used fishmeal, oats, millet, sunflower seeds and sorghum and prepared approximately a 10 kg mix since I only have four peas.

Thanks! I'm also copying over here your last post from the other thread, and some information you previously posted from the start of this one...

"Yes we have packaged pet feed for cats and dogs. Also broiler poultry feed. These are the only commercially available feeds."

"Ok I found out what is available here: Oats, sunflower seeds, millet, sorghum, fishmeal, corn. Kelp also should not be a problem since this is a port city"

Can you post the ingredients list and percentage of protein for the commercially available feeds? It may be easiest to take a photo of the label information and just post the photo. We might be able to use one of those as a starting point.

Also, I saw previously that you did not want to use commercial chicken feed... is there an issue with it, or some reason you do not wish to include it? Many of us use some portion of chicken feed as part of a larger mix for the birds. Is there a commercial layer feed available, or is there only the broiler feed? What are laying hens fed in Pakistan?

What feeds are given to livestock there? Horses? What other large animals do you have in/around Karachi, and what are they fed? Are there any feed supplements sold for them? Are there sheep? Goats? Camels? Are there sources for alfalfa? Did ever you happen to find any kelp or soy? What oils do you have available?

Question: the oats and corn that you were using... were they rolled (oats) or cracked (corn), or were you having to use whole grains?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'd like for us to get this figured out the best way possible for your peas. Four peas will soon become more, based on Pea Math
gig.gif

How are you on insects? If your peas roam your yard, are there a lot of insects available for them? Are you able to grow kale,spinach,berries,fruit, & other eatable vegetable and herbs for them? That might be the best way to go.

I am under the weather, will find out once well Garden Peas.

What I can tell you is that we have alfalah if it is the same thing as lucern. That is what horses and goats are fed. Wheat or rice straw mixed with chopped up maize grass is fed to cows. Also the residue that is obtained after extracting oil from sunflower is given to lactating cows to increase milk yield. That's about it for now. The rest I will find out and get back to you ASAP. I appreciate your interest greatly. Thanks very much!

Back
Top Bottom