Please help; hatchery fiasco…10 unknown chicks!!

BB361C38-4077-405D-B347-365622569BBC.jpeg

85A972BA-FF6E-48D7-9565-17AFFD87BEF6.jpeg 820DCECD-3BCB-46D1-9D72-4FDDF6BADAC4.jpeg
D702748B-5B42-414B-B5CE-C42802FCAA9F.jpeg

Still think Hamburg?

These are the two I’m most curious on. They’re smaller chickens.

View attachment 3762006
View attachment 3762009View attachment 3762007View attachment 3762008

Still think Hamburg?

These are the two I’m most curious on. They’re smaller chickens.
For the first one, I do still think Silver Spangled Hamburg is likely. It has the rose comb, dark feet, and a white-and-black pattern. The proper spangled pattern can take a while to show up (some colors of chicken have one pattern when they are young and a different one as they get older, and I think Splangled Hamburgs are one of the kinds that can do that.)

For the other one, I don't have any new ideas beyond what I said before. It may become more clear as it continues growing, and if it turns out to be female you will get another clue from the color eggs it lays. From what I see of the coloring, you may be able to tell male vs. female when the breast feathers come in. Black would mean male, salmon-colored would mean female, any other color would mean you can't tell that way after all.

For the first one, I do still think Silver Spangled Hamburg is likely. It has the rose comb, dark feet, and a white-and-black pattern. The proper spangled pattern can take a while to show up (some colors of chicken have one pattern when they are young and a different one as they get older, and I think Splangled Hamburgs are one of the kinds that can do that.)

For the other one, I don't have any new ideas beyond what I said before. It may become more clear as it continues growing, and if it turns out to be female you will get another clue from the color eggs it lays. From what I see of the coloring, you may be able to tell male vs. female when the breast feathers come in. Black would mean male, salmon-colored would mean female, any other color would mean you can't tell that way after all.
Impatiently having to wait to see. Lol I’ll update in a week or two if more pronounced pattern.
Have a lot of little “chipmunks” still. Lol

Probably female, because of the breast color (taken in conjunction with the rest of the color/pattern.)

Still has the single comb and I think the feet look yellow.
Standard size, not bantam, right?

I wonder if you have a Silver Leghorn:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/silver_leghorns.html

Their Dorkings should have white feet, not yellow, and would have an extra toe on each foot. Probably easy to rule in or out by counting toes.
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/silver_gray_dorkings.html

Other than that:

I can't decide whether I'm seeing any barring or not. That can be hard to spot on multi-colored chicks. If there is barring, probably Bielefelder, chance of Cream Legbar (I'm not seeing a crest on the head, but it's still young enough that a crest might not be visible yet.)

If no barring, maybe Brown Leghorn or Welsummer.
Chance of Whiting True Green, but I think the odds are fairly slim on that one (from the photos, they may be able to come in that color/pattern, but other patterns are probably more likely.)

I feel that it doesn't have as much gold/red tint as I would expect in the feathers for Bielefelder, Welsummer, and some of the others. That's why I put the Silver Leghorn as my first guess. But I could be wrong about what shades are how likely on which breeds, given that I'm comparing your photos with theirs, and that's the kind of thing that can be easy to mis-see in photos (light source, shadows, background color, displayed on a different monitor: easy enough to have the same breed or even the same chick look quite different in different photos.)

The comb looks a bit big, so maybe a breed that would grow a large comb and/or mature quickly (because I'm pretty sure the coloring says female no matter what size that comb is. The only way to get that color on a male would be to have the hen-feathering gene, which McMurray shouldn't have in any of the breeds I am considering.) So that's another point in favor of Leghorns: they have large combs and mature early.

Probably female, because of the breast color (taken in conjunction with the rest of the color/pattern.)

Still has the single comb and I think the feet look yellow.
Standard size, not bantam, right?

I wonder if you have a Silver Leghorn:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/silver_leghorns.html

Their Dorkings should have white feet, not yellow, and would have an extra toe on each foot. Probably easy to rule in or out by counting toes.
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/silver_gray_dorkings.html

Other than that:

I can't decide whether I'm seeing any barring or not. That can be hard to spot on multi-colored chicks. If there is barring, probably Bielefelder, chance of Cream Legbar (I'm not seeing a crest on the head, but it's still young enough that a crest might not be visible yet.)

If no barring, maybe Brown Leghorn or Welsummer.
Chance of Whiting True Green, but I think the odds are fairly slim on that one (from the photos, they may be able to come in that color/pattern, but other patterns are probably more likely.)

I feel that it doesn't have as much gold/red tint as I would expect in the feathers for Bielefelder, Welsummer, and some of the others. That's why I put the Silver Leghorn as my first guess. But I could be wrong about what shades are how likely on which breeds, given that I'm comparing your photos with theirs, and that's the kind of thing that can be easy to mis-see in photos (light source, shadows, background color, displayed on a different monitor: easy enough to have the same breed or even the same chick look quite different in different photos.)

The comb looks a bit big, so maybe a breed that would grow a large comb and/or mature quickly (because I'm pretty sure the coloring says female no matter what size that comb is. The only way to get that color on a male would be to have the hen-feathering gene, which McMurray shouldn't have in any of the breeds I am considering.) So that's another point in favor of Leghorns: they have large combs and mature early.
I am inclined to agree with you.
Although this one is staying fairly small compared to the rest of its same age brooder mates.
Turns out I have 2 hen cream legbars, and a Welsummer I think. But I also have 3 bielelfelders and they’re lighter in color, didn’t have that dramatic eye makeup either. Def not seeing any red tint like Welsummer.
And I ended up w 2 pearl leghorns from them too. (Pretty sure that’s what they are because I also got 4 leghorns from TSC a few days later; all about same size/color. But I think McMurray sent me males. Which is an answer to prayer because we needed a male leghorn. lol)

Back
Top Bottom