Please help. How do I keep chicks warm with no power.

Jody I wouldn't consider them dead if the power goes out. Mine stayed warm in front of a kerosene heater for 2 days while our power was out. They were only 2 days old then, now they are 6 weeks...didn't lose a single one. they started with hot water bottles until the hot water ran out, then they stayed under the covers with me while waiting on my friend to bring the heater. It's difficult but, there are ways to keep them alive. If you have to, build a fire outside and put them a few feet away...that's what I was going to do next if we hadn't located a heater. Chickens have lives for centuries before power and did fine
wink.png

You didn't say how old the chicks are. I agree with the other posts. Also you can put stuffed animals in with them and they may freak out at first but they will investigate then they may even cuddle with them. If you have an inverter to connect to a battery you could hook up a heating pad.

We lost power for an extended period DURING a hatch last year. My daughter and I slept on the couch with the chicks all in the crooks of our arms and under a light blanket. AND I hatched an egg against my skin. Once morning came, I phoned around and found someone with a generator that we could borrow so I could get them back into the incubator for the rest of the day!

You can place a oil lantern (you can use a olive oil lantern) in the brooder (on a metal plate to keep it away from the bedding) near the chicks with a round wire cage (made out of spare/scrap wire) around it (about 3 inches bigger than the circumference of the lantern), it will put off enough heat to keep the chicks warm and the cage will keep them from getting burnt.

You don't want to use the hand heaters, they use a chemical reaction to make the heat and put off not detectable fumes that can harm the little chicks lungs. If you read the directions is states to not use it near your face or breath the package.

Would putting a non-broody hen (if a broody is not available) in the brooder work? Or would the hen hurt/kill them or just not sit down so the chicks can get under her?

Quote:
You don't say how old your chicks are....
If you're burning wood then move the brooder closer to the heat source. We had chicks behind the wood stove sometimes when I was growing up
Heat up some rocks (you can do this outside in a firepit) and put them in the brooder with them and cover the top so the heat doesn't escape. Better stil,l move the chicks into a smaller box with air holes and keep it closed and covered with a blacket so their body heat works to keep the temps up.

Back
Top Bottom