Please help! I believe a bacterial infection is killing my girls!

Also, is there some kind of pet safe disinfectant spray or something I can use? I can replace bedding and stuff, but I can't really clean the ground of the enclosure besides raking up as much droppings as I can.

If you decide to get two more chickens, and you want to quarantine them get a good size dog crate. It will work great. My take on this is you need to get at least two or maybe three more chickens. I don't think you will regret it. I just lost my first chicken this year. She was two years old. I just found her under my small coop and she was gone. Check with Tractor Supply for a disinfectant to use for your coop.

Hello everyone, sorry I've been absent.

Henocide is still alive and well... but like I said, so was the second one of the 3 I had die for 15 days after the first one's death. The guy I was in contact with has oddly stopped responding to me... I'm sure as a local farmer his hens would not be vaccinated. Would that be an issue?

I've taken some steps to try to prevent any more death (considering I don't know what killed them for sure). I honestly could not be any better at keeping their area clean than I already was. HOWEVER, I will be expanding my run by 100 sq ft soon, maybe even this weekend! That brings it too 232 sq ft. I've also been putting vitamins in Henoides water and changing it everyday. Partly to try to strengthen her immune system, and it's just been really hot. I stopped after 5 or 6 days, I lost count. We've also had be big temperate drop in Indiana.

I've also been giving her hardly any treats. Besides her normal feed and oyster shells. I wonder if I over-spoiled them with lettuces, frozen strawberries, milworms, and other chicken treats. I've read there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. They didn't appear to be overweight though, and were very active.

Also, I called every vet I could and no one within over an hour sees chickens.

Please, if anyone has any advice on how to be a better chicken-er, feel free to critique me!

If you decide to get two more chickens, and you want to quarantine them get a good size dog crate. It will work great. My take on this is you need to get at least two or maybe three more chickens. I don't think you will regret it. I just lost my first chicken this year. She was two years old. I just found her under my small coop and she was gone. Check with Tractor Supply for a disinfectant to use for your coop.

I have considered having 4 instead of 3 since I'm extending their run to a total of 232 sq ft. but 4 would really cram up the coop which is 16 sq ft. I have no way of building onto it or adding another coop to the set up, at least at this time.

I just want you to be aware that when you add chickens, there will be a time of adjustment when the new ones may bully the one remaining chicken. They have to work things out among themselves, but it is good to make sure Henocide doesn't get picked too severely or kept from the food and water.

I just want you to be aware that when you add chickens, there will be a time of adjustment when the new ones may bully the one remaining chicken. They have to work things out among themselves, but it is good to make sure Henocide doesn't get picked too severely or kept from the food and water.

Yes I am taking some steps with that. Since I don't have a separate coop I do have a large dog crate and plan to keep them in that for a bit but let them in the coop at night once Henocide is settled down. I'm not worried about Henocide, I worried about them. The guy who had adult hens sold them without telling me til today, so I think I'm just going to order from Murphy's again since their hens are vaccinated like mine were. But the oldest they offer are 15-22 week pullets, same as when I got my barred rocks. Usually we would close up the coop at night, though part of the run is surrounded by 2 feet of heavy duty grating so nothing can get in. I'm going to keep that part open from now on so they can get away or any of them can if need be. I know a guy who is really experienced with chickens who said he'd help me out with introductions too.

If I can I think I'm going to get australorps. They were my other choice of hens and I hear they pair well with rocks.

Back
Top Bottom