Please help identify super cute baby chick for state fair. :D

ArtGirl

Chicken crazy
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
With chickens somewhere.......
We got some cute baby chicks on palm Sunday and I was hoping to enter some in the state fair this year. We got this silver so called Araucana chick that has a tail but knowing from research that Araucana chickens don't have tails or beards they have ear muffs
cool.png
What we know is that she is a Easter egger chick but we need to know if she is part Ameracana or other another bread so we don't get disqualified in the fair for wrong bread type
hmm.png
I would of put this on the showing forum but nobody answers on there and I need answers soon so I can train them to be calm
lol.png

Last edited:
no idea, but it's always a good idea to get a chick used to being handled.

The show people would probably have told you that unless you got these chicks from a show breeder the chances of them being show quality and coming anywhere near the SOP for their breed is slim to none. Even if they did come from a breeder you would still have to study the SOP for the breed and see how they develop as they mature. Hatchery chicks are not generally even close to show quality. I have been doing a lot of reading in the breeders threads, lol.

If you want to show your birds, don't get them from a feed store. Chances are, that bird is a cross. If you do end up showing it, it will probably be DQ'd to be honest with you, simply because hatchery birds come no where near the standard and are bred for egg production rather than type and tend to have obvious disqualifications, like vulture hawks. Yor best bet would to get chicks from a reputable breeder.

Back
Top Bottom