Please help me save my bird

Don't ever feed her cheese. It turns to fat to fast, clogging up there organs. I ran an experiment with that as an occasional treat. I butchered all in my experimental birds and discovered this.
I'll check back at the farm supply for meal worms. They were sold out when I went looking for nutri drench.

Are cherry tomatoes okay?

I have been following along silently. I am so sorry for all your losses. I am going to keep watching to find out the diagnostics in case my birds ever show the same symptoms and I have to rely on myself since I do not have enough money to afford a vet right now.

Thank you for sharing your story and for making it so someone like me can follow along, learning something new.

I’m so sorry to hear about your poor sweet babies @SarahLadd I know you have put your all into them.

I have a couple suggestions, I had a really bad case of Candida run through my chickens this winter that looked JUST like a respiratory virus in symptoms. Have you tried treating for a yeast infection? Mine didn’t present like I thought they would but the respiratory gunk and mucus went away after three days of Monistat straight in the beak. I also had them getting wet mash that was full of straight Vitamin B and E as well as hemp hearts for added omegas, poultry cell, and some egg yolk. I got to the point I started throwing the kitchen sink at them and was so mad when it ended up being so simple. I have also found probiotics necessary after long antibiotics…but yeasts are common after antibiotics too, due to the changes in gut flora and that was likely part of the reason it seemed the antibiotics weren’t working. It’s worth a try? Hugs ❤️

As for the lab costs, have you looked into Research Associates Laboratory down in Texas? I was able to collect live samples and send them in to them and got results back fast. Wasn’t cheap but probably cheaper than Dr Bailey and minus the attitude.

I'll check back at the farm supply for meal worms. They were sold out when I went looking for nutri drench.

Are cherry tomatoes okay?
I feed mine cherry tomatoes and they love them. Fun treat to play keep-away with, and they roll for extra chasing.

Now, do they have a lot of nutrients that a sick bird needs when trying to recover? They might have some, probably not as much as other things folks have recommended so far, but they won't actively hurt her, if that's what you're asking.

Tomato vines = probably poisonous to some extent.
Tomato fruit = tasty treat.

I’m so sorry to hear about your poor sweet babies @SarahLadd I know you have put your all into them.

I have a couple suggestions, I had a really bad case of Candida run through my chickens this winter that looked JUST like a respiratory virus in symptoms. Have you tried treating for a yeast infection? Mine didn’t present like I thought they would but the respiratory gunk and mucus went away after three days of Monistat straight in the beak. I also had them getting wet mash that was full of straight Vitamin B and E as well as hemp hearts for added omegas, poultry cell, and some egg yolk. I got to the point I started throwing the kitchen sink at them and was so mad when it ended up being so simple. I have also found probiotics necessary after long antibiotics…but yeasts are common after antibiotics too, due to the changes in gut flora and that was likely part of the reason it seemed the antibiotics weren’t working. It’s worth a try? Hugs ❤️

As for the lab costs, have you looked into Research Associates Laboratory down in Texas? I was able to collect live samples and send them in to them and got results back fast. Wasn’t cheap but probably cheaper than Dr Bailey and minus the attitude.
We used research associates laboratory when we got our Mareks diagnosis. We called before hand and they were really nice and answered all our questions.

@SarahLadd , have you considered tubefeeding? Just about anything you can entice her to eat is better than nothing at all, but tubefeeding will allow you to deliver proper nutrition including vitamins straight to her crop. Tube-feeding may sound intimidating, but is easy to do once you understand how and gather the needed materials. This wouldn't be long-term; only under you receive a diagnosis and she recovers her appetite and strength to eat her regular feed.

Back
Top Bottom