PLEASE HELP ME!

Skipper Carnes

Chirping
Feb 16, 2023
I noticed this yesterday. I have a 2-year-old white leghorn hen named Dixie who has lost about a pound of weight and her comb is more floppy than normal. She is a little lazy and eats a little less than the others. I have given her 2 vinegar water enemas, hoping it is an ovary infection since we have treated hens with her symptoms using this method. Do y'all have any suggestions as to what I can do to help her. Do you have a similar situation? Please tag some experts if you know of any! Please say some prayers to Jesus for her too. Thank you for any advice. I don't know when she laid her last egg.

I noticed this yesterday. I have a 2-year-old white leghorn hen named Dixie who has lost about a pound of weight and her comb is more floppy than normal. She is a little lazy and eats a little less than the others. I have given her 2 vinegar water enemas, hoping it is an ovary infection since we have treated hens with her symptoms using this method. Do y'all have any suggestions as to what I can do to help her. Do you have a similar situation? Please tag some experts if you know of any! Please say some prayers to Jesus for her too. Thank you for any advice. I don't know when she laid her last egg.
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

I'm sorry about your hen! Unfortunately I'm not as experienced in this kind of problem but I hope she will get better! 💚

Oh my.
How much does she weigh today?
What exactly have you been feeding her?

Please for the love of God never squirt anything up a chicken's vent hole again.
I have read that is what you do and it has saved many of our hens lives before. I don't know exactly what she weighs but I am guessing about 2-3 pounds. Her breast bone is more pronounced then normal. She eats an organic, soy-free corn-free layer feed from a local market in the amish country.

Right now I have separated her into a different coop and run by herself. I gave her a shot of nutri-drench last night.

Unfortunately the symptoms you're describing are a commonality across pretty much all ailments in chickens, so it could be any number of things.

That's a lot of weight to lose - do you know how fast she lost it? Is she passing droppings? Perhaps a partial impaction.

I'm not an expert but weight drop to me is more indicative of a disease or infection more than anything. Have you checked for lice or mites? Any other symptoms like runny nose, eyes, panting?

Electrolytes and feeding high protein foods like meal worms or cooked scrambled eggs are a good general step for pretty much any ailment.

Eyes clear, nose clear, and no panting. I am now feeding her a chick starter grower to add more protein. She doesn't have lice or mites. Should I put her on an antibiotic?

Back
Top Bottom