Please help

lilofthestars

Songster
8 Years
Oct 9, 2015
My Plymouth barred rock hen. Her little legs are so red. I was advised Buy a very good vet online to put miconazile on her legs. I tried it last night, but it seems got it got a little worse. I feel so bad for her it’s gotta hurt. She is about 2 years old. I was also told to try Nu-stock I tried once the smell is awful so for 73% final 2% mineral on 25%please any help Would be so much appreciate it. I don’t want to see her suffer.

Attachments

• IMG_3371.jpeg
    IMG_3371.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3369.jpeg
    IMG_3369.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 17
My Plymouth barred rock hen. Her little legs are so red. I was advised Buy a very good vet online to put miconazile on her legs. I tried it last night, but it seems got it got a little worse. I feel so bad for her it’s gotta hurt. She is about 2 years old. I was also told to try Nu-stock I tried once the smell is awful so for 73% final 2% mineral on 25%please any help Would be so much appreciate it. I don’t want to see her suffer.
How cold are your temperatures right now?

I wouldn't apply ointments, oils, etc. to legs, combs/wattles, exposed tissue in cold weather.

What was the Vet's diagnosis for your hen - the reason to use Miconazole. which is an anti-fungal/yeast medication, on her legs?

The first photo, looking at the side of her leg, looks like a normal red flush that hens and roosters have due to hormones. Usually when in lay for hens and a sign of fertility for roosters.

In the second photo, I do see some raised scales which might indicate a mild case of Scaly Leg Mites. Vaseline, Castor Oil, Nu Stock, etc. can be applied to the legs working under the scales of the feet/legs to suffocate the mites. Ivermectin could also be used.

Her feet look to be irritated in the second photo, perhaps because of cold weather and ointment, but hard to know since your location is not in your profile.

I'm not certain what I'm looking at. It can be frostbite, but why did the vet give you the anti-fungal ointment in that case?

I wouldn't apply ointments, oils, etc. to legs, combs/wattles, exposed tissue in cold weather.

What was the Vet's diagnosis for your hen - the reason to use Miconazole. which is an anti-fungal/yeast medication, on her legs?

The first photo, looking at the side of her leg, looks like a normal red flush that hens and roosters have due to hormones. Usually when in lay for hens and a sign of fertility for roosters.

In the second photo, I do see some raised scales which might indicate a mild case of Scaly Leg Mites. Vaseline, Castor Oil, Nu Stock, etc. can be applied to the legs working under the scales of the feet/legs to suffocate the mites. Ivermectin could also be used.

Her feet look to be irritated in the second photo, perhaps because of cold weather and ointment, but hard to know since your location is not in your profile.
We are in Florida. It has been a little bit cold, but not that bad. And she started having these red legs even before it got cold.

We are in Florida. It has been a little bit cold, but not that bad. And she started having these red legs even before it got cold.
They looked like the second photo before it got cold or the first one?

First photo looks like normal red flush to me.

Second photo looks like the tissue is irritated from something. Did you put the Miconazole over the Nu Stock cream or?
I'd be inclined to wash the legs with some mild soap and get all the ointment /oils off.

Dry the feet very well. Apply a thin layer of vaseline or coconut oil to the feet/legs and see if they start to look better.

Don't apply the oil/vaseline if your weather is going to be cold, wait until it warms up.

The vet thought the cream may help, She was not sure of the diagnosis. It has been like this even before the cold weather. But we live in northern Mid, Florida I was trying to post a few more pictures. Let me see if I can do that

Attachments

• IMG_3466.jpeg
    IMG_3466.jpeg
    373.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3464.jpeg
    IMG_3464.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3463.jpeg
    IMG_3463.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 7
The vet thought the cream may help, She was not sure of the diagnosis. It has been like this even before the cold weather. But we live in northern Mid, Florida I was trying to post a few more pictures. Let me see if I can do that
Poor girl. It's hard to tell, but I think she has SLM. I'd do this if she were mine👇
I'd be inclined to wash the legs with some mild soap and get all the ointment /oils off.

Dry the feet very well. Apply a thin layer of vaseline or coconut oil to the feet/legs and see if they start to look better.

Don't apply the oil/vaseline if your weather is going to be cold, wait until it warms up.

Back
Top Bottom