Please Help, Mille Fleur with Scab thats Cracking Beak

MilleFleur7

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2015
Earth
Hello! I have just had a broody hen hatch two, health chicks. Shes been scratching in the backyard in the day with the chicks, and sleeps in a crate inside. This morning I was going out to check on the other chickens and noticed a huge scab on her face that looked quite bad. Im at a lost of what it is, or how to cure it.

Are there any sores in the mouth as well?

@Eggcessive or casportpony may have a better idea, but it looks like it could be Fowl Pox.

If the sores/scabs are just on the outer portion of the beak, then you can try applying some Iodine to them to see if they will heal up. Keep your water station clean and sanitized, Pox can be transmitted.

Here's some more info:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

I cant thank you enough for your quick reply. I just checked her mouth no sores that I could see. I will check to see if I have Iodine

How warm is it where you live? It is so cold that mosquitoes are not out? If you are in cold weather now, it could also be peck marks from other chickens. Her comb looks a little black from that also. But if you have mosquitoes out now, I agree with Wyorp Rock that it may be pox.

Back
Top Bottom