Please help my Amazing Americuana pullet! She has a runny nose and weird breathing!

pineapple416

Songster
5 Years
Aug 9, 2014
Western Washington
Amelia my wonderful 5 month old Americauna pullet has a runny nose, bubbles in her eyes, and rattly breathing. This started yesterday when I thought I heard one of the chickens breathing weird. We have isolated her from the flock with antibiotic water and plain yogurt. I will give her some chicken food soon. Other than the runny nose, bubbles in her eyes, and rattly breath she is acting normal and not at all lethargic. I would love any advice on how to get her better as soon as possible! I love Amelia sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... much and I don't want anything bad to happen to her. Thank you!

instead of yogurt use medicated food that might in the meantime I will try and see what other things might help I hope she gets better!!!

It sounds to me like she has a respiratory disease, which is fortunately not severe yet. What antibiotics are you using? There are several good ones, but a particularly effective antibiotic is Tylan50 injectable. You can usually find Tylan at a livestock supply store, since it is sold for larger animals. The Tylan50 injectable dosage for a large fowl bird is 1cc, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 5 days. Tylan also comes in an oral, water soluble form. However, I don't know the dosage for that type.

Along with treating your hen with antibiotics, giving supportive care will help her recover, too. Put some vitamins/electrolytes in her water, encourage her to eat plenty, and make sure she is warm and comfortable. I would recommend not giving her yogurt or probiotics right now, since the antibiotics (which kill bacteria--including good bacteria) are negating their effect. Definitely give her some yogurt after the treatment, though.

If the disease is bacterial, the antibiotics should clear it up in a few days. However, if the disease is viral, the antibiotics will only prevent secondary infection, not cure the disease. It will be up to your pullet's body and immune system to fight off the infection.

Good luck with her!

Medicated feed is for coccidiosis not respiratory illnesses.

It sounds to me like she has a respiratory disease, which is fortunately not severe yet. What antibiotics are you using? There are several good ones, but a particularly effective antibiotic is Tylan50 injectable. You can usually find Tylan at a livestock supply store, since it is sold for larger animals. The Tylan50 injectable dosage for a large fowl bird is 1cc, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 5 days. Tylan also comes in an oral, water soluble form. However, I don't know the dosage for that type.

Along with treating your hen with antibiotics, giving supportive care will help her recover, too. Put some vitamins/electrolytes in her water, encourage her to eat plenty, and make sure she is warm and comfortable. I would recommend not giving her yogurt or probiotics right now, since the antibiotics (which kill bacteria--including good bacteria) are negating their effect. Definitely give her some yogurt after the treatment, though.

If the disease is bacterial, the antibiotics should clear it up in a few days. However, if the disease is viral, the antibiotics will only prevent secondary infection, not cure the disease. It will be up to your pullet's body and immune system to fight off the infection.

Good luck with her!

X 2 on both. Medicated feed will not help with the illness you are seeing in your bird.....and, yes, yogurt will be good after treating with proper antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom