Please help!! :( my chick pipped 43 1/2 hours ago and I need help!!

Cabbage Girl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 15, 2013
We peeled the shell to make a zip around him ( carful not to break the membrane),we had been using a qtip to wet the membrane, and we just misted and put back in the incubator. It really help him push but he just can't get out!! :(
I would really appreciate some wisdom on whether to help further?
Thank you TONS!!!!!:)
Here's a pic:

Last edited:
If it's been that long, I would definitely help the chick further... that seems like too long to me. I've helped a few chicks during my last hatch (their inner membranes started to shrink-wrap the poor babies) and they are happy and hearty now (a few weeks later)
What I did was very carefully removed shell and peeled back membrane until I knew the chick could get out with a push or two, then I wrapped in a warm wet paper towel and left it...One came out immediately (as soon as I started to help, it started pushing
smile.png
) and the other few took a few hours to get strength up to push out.
I hope your baby is okay...

When I've helped chicks I do like you did then kinda assist in the neck/head coming out of the shell. I would peel that piece of shell under its head just a tab more so he can basically stretch his neck out. In mine they'll kinda hang out half in half out of the shell for a bit resting (hatching is hard work!) then next thing you know you've got a fluffy butt ready :).
I'm certainly no expert but its worked more than once for me. Like you said watch for blood.
Good luck with your little guy!

Back
Top Bottom