Please Help My Chicken With Prolapse

Are you serous you would eat her
duc.gif
ep.gif
barnie.gif

What happens if the chicken loses the prolapse & it falls out? This happened yesterday morning, but it seems to be fine walking around & eating/drinking. You can't even tell around the rear end that anything has happened.

How do you know if your chickens are receiving enough calcium?

Ours lost the prolapse and she is now fine. She lays an egg a day, after prolapsing twice. I posted the pic of her earlier in this thread. She has been fine since last December. We give all of our chickens access to calcium 24/7 so they always have it when they need it. We think Allison was unable to get to the calcium because she never left the coop and the calcium was outside. She now has her own coop (and coop mate) and does just fine.

This post is a Thank You to everyone on the BYC Forums! I had a 7 month Barred Holland with a Prolapsed Vent with a little bantam sized Egg stuck? We were horrified!!!! But after reading a few posts on these forums, we were able to help the poor hen out.

Thanks again BYCers :eek:)

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this information, you have likely saved Rockette (my young Columbian Rock hen)'s life. Bracing myself to go in there and gently clean out her poor bum. People have no idea how glamourous it is to be a chicken farmer, do they? thanks, again. - Lorna at Fowlty Towers Egg Emporium
P.S. just talked to my vet, she said to be aware of coccidiosis, if it's that you don't put hemmoroid cream on the vent area, just keep it moist with lubricant.

I have just found what appears to be a very rotten egg hanging out of the backside of one of my hens. I tried to pull it out but had no luck. She appears to be fine, eating, walking around etc. Sadly, I think I'll be culling her. Any suggestions?

I have just found what appears to be a very rotten egg hanging out of the backside of one of my hens.  I tried to pull it out but had no luck.  She appears to be fine, eating, walking around etc.  Sadly, I think I'll be culling her.  Any suggestions?

Could you start a new thread about the problem your having with your hen, with a subject about the problem so you can be helped. Thanks

about a PROLAPSE, my NHR Hen under a year old, she had been laying so many extra large eggs , that she developed a major prolapse, but i figured out how to fix her up pretty good , SHE IS NOW DOING REALLY GREAT...!!!! at first when i found her with a large prolapse out in the yard, i helped her to lay that stuck egg , first i turned her up side down & the egg went back in, then i let her go to walk around for as long as it took for her to produce a giant poop & then she went into her favorite nest box and laid a giant egg , so after that washed her off really well, & put her in a good size cage to keep her in my laundry room, until i could figure out how to help her to heal from the inside out , i didn't use most of the remedies suggested for that condition on many groups, like prep H & honey & so forth, i didnt feel any of that would help her , so at first i just tried to keep her quite & clean & free of infection , then i began to stop her from laying eggs , i did that by feeding only cracked corn & then i employed the use of several vitamins i knew that would help to heal her condition and waited wile she healed from the inside out, & after i put her on vacation from egg laying, that was the key to help her heal up well. i gave her vit C in her food & other vitamins , i knew that would heal up hemorrhoids in humans, since a hemorrhoid is in other words a weakness in the connective tissue that has developed over time from a deficiency, so the proper therapy to heal hemorrhoids in humans is taking 4000 mg of vit C a day along with 1000mg of vit E & thats the best way to heal up hemorrhoids in humans & keep it up for over a weeks time or until your better, BUT this is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART ,THE VIT C must have Citrus Bioflavonoids in it & the vit E you will need is 200 mg per pill & take 5 of them for a human a day ,do that & drink plenty of water, so following this advice properly, you will recover well, but for my red hen i used around 500mg of vit c & 400mg of vit E with the addition of one cod fish oil pill & that was the best way to heal up my red hen , plus i added in a liquid multi vitamin, for infant children called ploy vi sol & fed her all of those vitamins for 7 days in a mixture i made for her , wile always keeping her clean & making sure she was healing up well , so wile she was on vacation from laying eggs , it all worked together great & red girl is all healed up ..!!!so as i tried to improve her over all health, after she was healed up well i started to feed her foods that would promote egg laying, so in a week or 2 she started back up laying an egg every 3 to5 days, & as time went by she was laying about an egg a day & now she is in such great health even wile molting in winter i cant find a feather out of place on her, she is in excellent health but as the days progressed i watch over her, for any sign of a problem, but that never happened, she is doing really well for the last maybe 3 months & laying her large extra eggs every day, it would be impossible for me to think of killing any live animal that needed my help , so instead i would put all my energy into healing them & as you can see it was not hard at all and like i said it actually works ...!
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif
so take care all & have a good one
frow.gif

mail

Last edited:
Hi my name is Susie . I had a chicken with a real bad prolapse , I'm sure she had it because of stress, I washed her bottom every day put a glove on and put it back in . Then put her in a small run , Washed her bottom every day, It came out quite a few times, washed it put it back in I used pile cream with antiseptic, Put her back in by herself food water, It took 4WKS AND TOUCH WOOD IT HAS STAYED IN, I have put her in her own run and I let her out now. its great to see her scratching and enjoying being out side. But every one told me to cull her but no I wasn't going to do this, she is such a great hen she not laying eggs, I don't care if she doesn't I'm just glad she okay

Back
Top Bottom