Please help, my chickens are dying...

milo2145

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 29, 2010
huntsville texas
I really need help, amost all of my birds are very sick, I need to know what to do. should I cull? will I ever be able to eat the eggs again? They are mainly pets, so this is very upsetting

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
All types, chicks and adults
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
It started with bubbling of the eyes, sneezing, swelling of the face, now they are not laying, some of them have really loud breathing sounds, they are very lethargic. one of them has a bizarre neck thing, where her neck is laid over her back, and she walks in circles. Some of them seem to get over it, then get sick again the next day. so far no deaths.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
about a week
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
most of my birds, apart from 2 chicks
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I bought some chicks of a local lady, one died, and it had the wierd neck thing my adult chicken has, I am assuming whatever he had, he spread to my flock.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
They are all strangely, still eating regular chicken feed and drinking. even the one with her neck way over her back, straightens out and has a little drink.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I have put electrolytes and vitamins in the water, put extra heat lamps out
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I would treat them myself, if I knew what to use
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
chickens are free range, have a wooden coop, with an open mesh bottom.

Honestly, I would get your local poultry extension involved- this link should help get you started. Once you get the organism identified- you will know IF it is treatable vs controllable, vs no treatment. Then you can decide whether you need to cull, close your flock or treat. It all depends on WHAT you brought home with those chicks. Most states will do low cost or free testing on backyard poultry- but you will likely need to pick one or more of the ill birds to cull and bring to them.
http://gallus.tamu.edu/extensionprograms/index.htm

You should also call the lady you got chicks from and enquire about recent illnesses in her birds. She *may* provide you with useable info, if she is aware of a problem in her flock.

Twisty neck + acute respiratory disease will get them (TX poultry extension) interested, as most states have survey programs for big baddies like Exotic Newcastles- which has symptoms like that. Not that I think your birds have this- as it is rare, but those symptoms may get you faster testing for your birds...

milo2145,

Here's a link for you. /

It goes to the Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Lab. Look through there and find the poultry dept. You might be able to have a Poultry person help you with this. They can certainly put you in touch with who you should contact for help. You need help quick and you can go right to a reliable source from there.
Good luck!

I can't get the link right. New to this. You can cut and paste this into your browser: http://www.tvmdl.tamu.edu/services_offered/poultry_program/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom