Please help. Poorly chickens. Is it respitary?

Sadly I've just found another dead (one who wasn't separated and wasn't showing any signs) so I think your original reply is right, it's already been passed on the rest.

That's very true. Usually for quarantining I have them at a different location from my hens and in a hut. But as you've just said some go without symptoms, and I've just read an article which says mareks isn't always picked up on at checks (due to the fact it can be symptomless or lies dormant).
All who I've bought from have meant to be respectable breeders.

Not sure how to go forward from here, very upsetting if they do all have it. Any advice on going forward? X

If they all do have it, chances are they won't survive. Marek's is a horrible disease and I'm SO SORRY you had to go through it. At this point, culling would be the best option. It saves your other birds from suffering. You will also need to move your coop, and give any and all equipment (including the coop) a VERY thorough washing! You are basically having to start all over. New location, new flock. If you order from a hatchery, most have an option to vaccinate for Marek's. It's not expensive, and will protect your flock. I ordered from MPC, and got my chicks vaccinated. They are all happy, healthy (not to mention vaccinated :p) chickens! I am so sorry for your losses. I hope this doesn't happen again!

If they all do have it, chances are they won't survive. Marek's is a horrible disease and I'm SO SORRY you had to go through it. At this point, culling would be the best option. It saves your other birds from suffering. You will also need to move your coop, and give any and all equipment (including the coop) a VERY thorough washing! You are basically having to start all over. New location, new flock. If you order from a hatchery, most have an option to vaccinate for Marek's. It's not expensive, and will protect your flock. I ordered from MPC, and got my chicks vaccinated. They are all happy, healthy (not to mention vaccinated :p) chickens! I am so sorry for your losses. I hope this doesn't happen again!
I also read about treating the soil, do you have any recommendations for this?

I'm newish to chickens (4 years and never experienced this before, heard about it but always hoped it wouldn't happen to us)

I will definitely be doing that in future, I thought buying from the shows (where there meant to be checked and had all relevant vaccinations to enter) was a good idea but will do what you do in future x

Not sure how to go forward from here, very upsetting if they do all have it. Any advice on going forward? X

Find a place to do a necropsy or swabbing, don't assume it Mareks until you can get it confirmed.
Where are you located in this world? State agricultural authorities and/or Universities may have these services and sometimes it's free. Or you could open up the birds yourself and take a look and pics of any abnormalities in the organs. Not for the faint of heart, I do this but annually slaughter birds form my layer flock for meat so have some experience in what is normal and what is not.

Give the remaining birds good basic care...a good balanced feed, plain clean water, and spacious, well ventilated housing. Maybe give a dose of poultry vitamins for a boost, but hold off on any drastic measures or treatments. They may all die or some may survive and be immune. It's wait and see situation, meanwhile think hard about what your goals are. I only buy chicks or hatch my own, greatly reduces the risk of what you are experiencing. Vaccinating is not cheap nor fully guaranteed as there are many strains of Mareks.

I also read about treating the soil, do you have any recommendations for this?

I'm newish to chickens (4 years and never experienced this before, heard about it but always hoped it wouldn't happen to us)

I will definitely be doing that in future, I thought buying from the shows (where there meant to be checked and had all relevant vaccinations to enter) was a good idea but will do what you do in future x
I've been doing some research, and I haven't found anything about treating the soil. I think moving the coop would be your safest bet. My best wishes for your existing flock and future flock! :)

gloppy eyes, bopping of the head and what sounds like a cough. each have sticky or runny eyes...it's like she's gasping.

I'm sorry for your loss :hugs
Runny gloppy eyes, coughing and gasping for breath sounds like a respiratory disease.
There are several with similar symptoms so it's hard to know which one without testing. Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza and ILT are some of the most common. If you have vet care, that would be best - sometimes antibiotics can be used to help treat secondary infections due to illness. Keep in mind that even if your birds recover - most respiratory illnesses make birds and those exposed carriers for life. If you still have the body of one that has passed - refrigerating and sending it for necropsy/testing is a good idea - this way you know what you are dealing with.

Marek's does not cause watery eyes and coughing (or other "classic" respiratory symptoms like facial swelling, mucous) - it can cause paralysis that can make it difficult to breath so a chicken can gasp - this difficulty and a weakened state can cause reduction in lung function making a bird more susceptible to air sac/respiratory infection (secondary illnesses). The only way to test for Marek's is through necropsy.
FWIW - the Marek's vaccine can offer some level of protection, but is not a full preventive for the disease - it only stops the formation of tumors associated with Marek's but does not prevent infection from the virus (it is a very complicated and frustrating disease).

Testing for common diseases like Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, etc. are generally not required for birds that are taken to shows or even to qualify for breeder programs like NPIP, hatcheries in the US don't test for these - of course there are always exceptions depending on where you live and if an illness has a high incidence in your area.

Do the best you can - clean out the eyes, flush with saline, you can apply ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin to the eyes to help with infection. Keep them drinking, poultry vitamins may give them a boost. I'm very sorry - I wish there were better answers for you, please keep us posted.
Common Poultry Diseases http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Marek's http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

I agree with @aart and @Wyorp Rock. Don't throw the babies out with the bath water yet. At least not until you get a solid diagnosis of what is going on.

The wing paralysis and general paralysis can be signs of Marek's and Marek's can weaken the bird's immune system so they are more susceptible to disease but I agree with Wyorp Rock something about the birds with respiratory problems doesn't ring true to Marek's. I have Marek's in my flock and I haven't lost a single bird to respiratory problems similar to what your birds are experiencing. I have lost birds to respiratory and cardiac failure from probably tumors and Marek's and they act differently than you birds are acting. No discharge from mouth or eyes other than some mild bubbling from the mouth indicative of fluid in the heart and lungs but no crusting of eyes or nose.

Having Marek's in your flock need not be a death sentence to your birds. I was devastated when I figured out what was happening to my birds. I lost over 16 birds in a 40 bird flock since February but since then my census has increased to 60 thanks to prolific Old English Game Bantams. Yes, you are going to loose birds. Yes, your days exhibiting birds is over, but your surviving birds will be resistant to the disease and it's from those birds that you breed your flock from. Stay as far away from poultry shows as possible so you do not bring anything new in to infect your flock or carry anything in to birds being exhibited.

I only cull birds when they are exhibiting terminal symptoms of the disease and are suffering. Until then, my flock is closed. I breed from my own birds and only buy vaccinated chicks.

As for soil containment. Sorry, it probably isn't going to happen. You would have to scrape 6 or 7 inches of top soil off your entire property to be certain that you have eliminated the virus from your soil. But then, the virus can then travel in on the wind or on wild birds or from a neighbor who visits who is carrying the dander of infected birds on their shoes or clothing. Good biosecurity isn't a guarantee that you will not have Marek's introduced to your flock. At least it wasn't for me. Here in the US, the disease is so prevalent that avian vets consider all flocks to be exposed whether they are showing symptoms or not.

So please don't think the worst and even if your birds do have Marek's it is not a complete disaster. Yes, you will have birds die, but some will live and those birds are worth their weight in gold.

In the meantime do try to make contact with your farm vet and try to figure out what is going on with your flock. Sometimes, as mentioned the only way you can be sure of a diagnosis is to have a dead bird opened and labs done to pinpoint the cause of their death.

You've gotten good advice on general common sense care for your sick birds. I sincerely hope that you get to the bottom of what is wrong with your birds.

You may want to check out the Marek's Fax thread here on BYC. Lots of good info to be found there.

If you choose to go the colloidal silver route any that you can get is fine. The higher the number the more silver you are getting. It won't hurt them to drink it. You don't want to give it to them full strength indefinitely but letting them drink it for a little while is fine.

Some people swear by it others think it's bunk. Do a little research and decide for yourself.

Last edited:
Colloidal Silver is THE treatment for serious wounds. I used to be a wound nurse and it's the up and coming treatment for healing all sorts of lesions and wounds. It's the absolute best for burns in a cream form Silvadene (hope I spelled that right) ointment.

Find a place to do a necropsy or swabbing, don't assume it Mareks until you can get it confirmed.
Where are you located in this world? State agricultural authorities and/or Universities may have these services and sometimes it's free. Or you could open up the birds yourself and take a look and pics of any abnormalities in the organs. Not for the faint of heart, I do this but annually slaughter birds form my layer flock for meat so have some experience in what is normal and what is not.

Give the remaining birds good basic care...a good balanced feed, plain clean water, and spacious, well ventilated housing. Maybe give a dose of poultry vitamins for a boost, but hold off on any drastic measures or treatments. They may all die or some may survive and be immune. It's wait and see situation, meanwhile think hard about what your goals are. I only buy chicks or hatch my own, greatly reduces the risk of what you are experiencing. Vaccinating is not cheap nor fully guaranteed as there are many strains of Mareks.
Thank you for all your help!

I'm in the UK (Scotland).
It's Sunday so will be able to contact our local farmer vet tomorrow hopefully as not had any luck as yet.
Sadly today we lost the other 2 that were not well, and lost another 2 (1 last night and 1 today) that never showed any signs yesterday.
I don't plan on culling just yet, as you said I'd rather see how this goes before doing anything drastic (we have chickens as a pet basis not for eggs or meat) so I don't want to rush in to anything.

I think I may do that in future, I've recently just got my first hatcher and succcesfully hatched chicks in the house - I will be keeping these separate just in case. So think in future that's the route I will go down if wanting anymore chickens

I agree with @aart and @Wyorp Rock. Don't throw the babies out with the bath water yet. At least not until you get a solid diagnosis of what is going on.

The wing paralysis and general paralysis can be signs of Marek's and Marek's can weaken the bird's immune system so they are more susceptible to disease but I agree with Wyorp Rock something about the birds with respiratory problems doesn't ring true to Marek's. I have Marek's in my flock and I haven't lost a single bird to respiratory problems similar to what your birds are experiencing. I have lost birds to respiratory and cardiac failure from probably tumors and Marek's and they act differently than you birds are acting. No discharge from mouth or eyes other than some mild bubbling from the mouth indicative of fluid in the heart and lungs but no crusting of eyes or nose.

Having Marek's in your flock need not be a death sentence to your birds. I was devastated when I figured out what was happening to my birds. I lost over 16 birds in a 40 bird flock since February but since then my census has increased to 60 thanks to prolific Old English Game Bantams. Yes, you are going to loose birds. Yes, your days exhibiting birds is over, but your surviving birds will be resistant to the disease and it's from those birds that you breed your flock from. Stay as far away from poultry shows as possible so you do not bring anything new in to infect your flock or carry anything in to birds being exhibited.

I only cull birds when they are exhibiting terminal symptoms of the disease and are suffering. Until then, my flock is closed. I breed from my own birds and only buy vaccinated chicks.

As for soil containment. Sorry, it probably isn't going to happen. You would have to scrape 6 or 7 inches of top soil off your entire property to be certain that you have eliminated the virus from your soil. But then, the virus can then travel in on the wind or on wild birds or from a neighbor who visits who is carrying the dander of infected birds on their shoes or clothing. Good biosecurity isn't a guarantee that you will not have Marek's introduced to your flock. At least it wasn't for me. Here in the US, the disease is so prevalent that avian vets consider all flocks to be exposed whether they are showing symptoms or not.

So please don't think the worst and even if your birds do have Marek's it is not a complete disaster. Yes, you will have birds die, but some will live and those birds are worth their weight in gold.

In the meantime do try to make contact with your farm vet and try to figure out what is going on with your flock. Sometimes, as mentioned the only way you can be sure of a diagnosis is to have a dead bird opened and labs done to pinpoint the cause of their death.

You've gotten good advice on general common sense care for your sick birds. I sincerely hope that you get to the bottom of what is wrong with your birds.

You may want to check out the Marek's Fax thread here on BYC. Lots of good info to be found there.
Sadly we lost the other 2 and then also found another 2 dead - they 2 didn't show any signs and were perfectly fine yesterday so I really don't know what's going on.

I don't plan on culling, we have them as pets not for eggs or meat so I will see how this goes.

Still no luck as of yet to the farm vet getting back to me but tomorrow's Monday so hoping he will then x

Back
Top Bottom